Oil comming out of my breather.

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemi4t

Oil comming out of my breather.

Post by hemi4t »

I added a oil fill tube with a breather to my valley cover and a pvc valve to the oil fill plug at the rear of the valley cover like where the road draft tube would go. The problem I have is oil comming out of the breather and hitting my windshield a few drops. It also seems to be coming out of the valve cover. The engine has less than a 100 miles so I know the rings are not seated yet and I'm running without a hood so the breather is in the air flow. I think I do not have enough crank case ventilation. I'm using a pcv valve from a V6 chrysler mounted horizontally (inline). I think I need a bigger pcv valve but can't seem to find one with hose bibs at each end and also one that can be mounted horizontal. Tried talking to the Fram tech line people but they are useless unless you have a vehicle year and model number. Anyone recommend a pcv valve to use or any other thing I'm missing?
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi Hemi4t,
Do you have space for two of the existing V6 PCV valves in-line ? ie; one following the other with a small length of tubing inbetween, placed where the existing solitary 'valve is now ? This would give you time/chance to find an alternate, possible bigger PCV valve, whilst still being able to use your vehicle. It'd also tell you if you have enough crankcase ventilation too: if the oil keeps on coming out with two pcv valves, you should have enough ventilation: It must be something else .....
Keep us posted,
Mike
Beep ! Beep !
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Not a bad ideal but I would rather do a single if I can find one. Anyone run two pcv valves? What about one on each carb? I have two 4's with progressive linkage.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hemi4t,
One on each carb would work. Try that for now, and see if you can get a bigger one later.
Mike
Beep ! Beep !
George

Post by George »

Did you try sucking on the system to make shure it flows, & are you shure it's connected to a vacuum source?
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Yeah I checked all that as I installed it. The pcv valve is for a V6 which is only 231 cu.inches but adapted for inline use so I used it. I'm not kinking hose or pinching it off either.
George

Post by George »

Bob Walker @ Hot Heads sells the PCV adaptors. Give him a call & see what one he uses.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

I bought that one it won't fit my application because the valley cover I'm using has the oil fill hole near the intake runner on number 8 cylinder and it has a screw in cap. What I did was drill the cap tap it and put in a 90 degree hose bib elbow for a 3/8 hose. That is why I need an inline pcv valve I can not fit a pcv into the oil fill cap and have clearence to the intake.
George

Post by George »

obviously there is more pressure going in that coming out.What about a Mopar fuel filter. Cut one end off & put a grommet in it for a push in PCV valve?
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

George, that is a good ideal! That would make a good reducer to use a push in pvc. Thanks I'll try it. And your right there is more pressure than I'm relieving right now or how else would oil come out the breather? I think with the breather being in the air stream it is limiting air flow into the breather itself and the pcv being under size for the cubic inches is not relieving the pressure under some throttle positions.
George

Post by George »

The OEM set up had air blowing directly into the oil fill cap, & suction of air passing the road draft tube to suck it out. I'm not shure you can "ram air" too much air into the crankcase or not. If you shielded it from direct path of the air that might give a clue.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

I'm running right now with the hood off while I'm shaking the car down. The breather which is a K&N is open 360 degrees and sits high in the air flow with the hood off. I'll see when I put the bigger pcv on it.
krooser

Post by krooser »

Is the vacuum source below the throttle plates ie: in the manfold? It should be....
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Hemi4t,I've thought about all the replies to your question,so here are some thoughts,as I am a few weeks away from putting my Hemi together for the final time.I have an original 1964 GTO(been in family since new),it has a closed system,ie:,oil fill not vented,pcv just sucks vapors,not mixed with fresh air,works great.Are you using a 2 piece stock valley cover?If not,you may be getting oil splash from the valley area directly into your pcv,overwhelming your pcv with oil,instead of crankcase fumes.Let us know the outcome(NO,I'm not putting the Hemi in the GTO).
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

krooser wrote:Is the vacuum source below the throttle plates ie: in the manfold? It should be....
The source is the pcv port on the carb which is below the throttle plates.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

DHEMI wrote:Hemi4t,I've thought about all the replies to your question,so here are some thoughts,as I am a few weeks away from putting my Hemi together for the final time.I have an original 1964 GTO(been in family since new),it has a closed system,ie:,oil fill not vented,pcv just sucks vapors,not mixed with fresh air,works great.Are you using a 2 piece stock valley cover?If not,you may be getting oil splash from the valley area directly into your pcv,overwhelming your pcv with oil,instead of crankcase fumes.Let us know the outcome(NO,I'm not putting the Hemi in the GTO).
I mounted a 90 degree elbow to the oil fill plug in the back on the valley cover then 3/8 hose up and toward the front with an inline pcv valve which sits about 5 inches higher than the valley cover. I did not see an evidence of oil being sucked into the pcv valve when I checked it yesterday. It is free and without restriction.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I vent motors by running a line from both breathers on the valve covers to a small puke tank with a K&N filter on top. The tank has an additional line running down to the oil pan to equalize crankcast pressure.

I have also seen a small diameter hard line run to the timing chain cover to do the same, directly from the valley cover, while running breathers on the valve covers without the tank.

Either way allows the equalization of pressure and crankcase breathing.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Bailiesdad wrote:I vent motors by running a line from both breathers on the valve covers to a small puke tank with a K&N filter on top. The tank has an additional line running down to the oil pan to equalize crankcast pressure.

I have also seen a small diameter hard line run to the timing chain cover to do the same, directly from the valley cover, while running breathers on the valve covers without the tank.

Either way allows the equalization of pressure and crankcase breathing.
Good ideal I could move the breather remote which would help to eliminate any oil migration. I need to thank everyone for their inputs some good ideals here.