What stand to build your hemi on?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

What stand to build your hemi on?

Post by scootermcrad »

What are you guys using? Obviously 4-wheel stands are required for these, but what else should be looked at? I've got an extended bell block and the stand I have scares me. Can you recommend something that won't break the bank?
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

I bought a stand from Summit#sum-g1011.Put engine on it,and it had a SEVERE downward tilt,plus had slight shift to the right.Took engine off,cut and rewelded level and straight.Put engine back on and still hand downward slant due to slop in rotating head.Put 1 inch spacer on front leg,still has very slight downward slant,but I can live with it.I'm not knocking Summit,maybe I got a bad one,but it was easier for me to change than exchange.Used cam lube to make rotating easier.Locking bolt for lower leg no good,drilled thru and put bolt and nut so lower leg can't work out.Mine did due to forward slant,and front of block fell on floor.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

OTC makes good stands or you can make one with 3X3X.125 steel, mine is 28 21 33 33, 3/4 inch backing plate, 2 inch solid steel rotating bar, 5 inch hard treaded lockable wheels, you need a good welder and chop saw to make all welds and cuts.. my rotatiing bar is level to allow for the engine turning. I stuffed the solid steel bar into a piece of schedule 80 pipe and it holds fine. Lock it with taped in, 3/8-24 threaded bolts front and rear of the very top of pipe at both ends. I keep the bar from sliding with one 10-32 allen head bolt tapped into the solid steel rotating bar in the very back of the stand.

Make a front leg with modified H style dual front and rear wheels, use lugs between tubing joints on the angles or solid steel angle iron 1/4 thick, rear should be 28 front 21 height 33 length 33, solid steel brace between upright and front center bar. This, if welded correctly, will hold 4000-5000 easily, the std fudge factor when working with a heavy engine.

The cheap stands will possibly maim or kill you.