Lifter noise

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemi4t

Lifter noise

Post by hemi4t »

I have what I think is lifter noise and took the valve covers off and check valve lash (hydralic lifters) and number one exhaust seemed loose so I adjusted to resistence rotating and then 1/4 turn more and locked the nut down. It still ticks is it possible the lifter bleeds down while running? This is a new rebuild about 50 miles on it. All new parts cam, lifters, push rods, and rebuilt rocker assemblies. The only thing is the engine sat for 4 years after rebuild before I completed my car and fired it up. During cam run in it would come and go as far as the lifter noise goes. I changed the oil which I had straight 30 weight and put in 20W50 and Rislone treatment and will run that for a while. Do you have any other ideals I can try short of tearing the engine apart?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

What brand lifters?
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Bailiesdad wrote:What brand lifters?
Hot heads lifters.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

After 4 years it does not really matter, ask Hot heads if they have had any problems with the ones they sold you and get another set.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Bailiesdad wrote:After 4 years it does not really matter, ask Hot heads if they have had any problems with the ones they sold you and get another set.
I will contact hotheads if it is a lifter but I need to make sure my rockers are OK and getting oil also and not a weak spring causing the rocker to chatter. I need to run the engine without the valve cover so I will let the rislone do its thing first to see if that is it. The rockers and shafts were rebuilt so that should not be the problem but I need to check it anyway.