Extended bell 331 with T56

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

Extended bell 331 with T56

Post by scootermcrad »

Anyone running a T56 6-speed behind their extended bell 331? Will the standard GM Adapter from Wilcap work for the conversion? Anyone know of particular T56 models to avoid for the application.

Thanks guys!
Scooter
Johnny Cliche

Post by Johnny Cliche »

I'm assuming the T56 is the T5 style bolt pattern, what bolt pattern is the GM manual adapter made for? I'm assuming it's made for either a Muncie or Saginaw pattern, and I have no idea if those 3 patterns coincide with each other...could the holes be filled and have a new pattern drilled and tapped to match the T56 pattern? I'd think as long as the depth of the shaft engagement worked in comparison to the transmission the adapter was made for it should be plausible, anyone got a concrete answer?
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

These are the assumptions I'm making also. Since the T5 and T56 seem to be interchangable (in terms of engine mounting), I would think that the depth would be the same depending on which T56 was purchased. Some T56's have different shaft lengths from what I've read. Not sure which has which yet.

Here's the wilcap for the T5:
http://www.wilcap.com/331FT5.PDF
El Coolmino

Post by El Coolmino »

Most GM application T56s have a rotated mounting position, and I believe there's a difference with length of the input shaft too. Be careful comparing ford T5 to chevy T5, they're not interchangeable. I do know that when doing a swap on a GM vehicle everyone seems to recommend getting the bellhousing from the donor vehicle because T56s don't play well with standard bellhousings. You're probably looking at a modified T56 to do what you want, and they're not fabulously strong unless you get spendy with the mods the viper guys have developed. One of my chevys run a TKO 5 sp, which saved me a grand over a T56 swap, is stronger, and bolts up like an old-school 4 speed.

Wow, turns out I could actually add something to a hemi forum. Who'd have thunk it?
Good luck!