Head Identification

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

Head Identification

Post by scootermcrad »

I just picked up some heads. I was told they were Industrial heads, but my numbers reference them to be 354 heads. Need some hard facts here.

The number is 1733463-1 and is printed on both heads the same. They do NOT have front water ports for a cross over. I will try to get some pictures in a minute and will post them. I was also told they are set up for sodium filled valves.

Thanks for your help.
Scooter
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

Here's the pictures:

Any ideas?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Scooter, they are Chrysler heads used on the Dodge trucks and some Marine 354 engines. They should have had the large stem sodium filled exhaust valves installed in them.
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

What do I need to do with these to make them work for my application besides the custom locating pins? Should I run the sodium valves? Can I even GET sodium valves anymore? I would want to replace the guides anyway, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
krooser

Post by krooser »

Run standard stainless or OEM valves.....
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Yes you can still get sodium filled exhaust valves, they very good at keeping the exhaust valve stem cool.
budmspeeco

Head Identification

Post by budmspeeco »

I weighed the sodium valves and they are actually lighter than solid valves so there is a small benefit there if you don't reuse the rotators. If you are not afraid of using used valves I have several sodium filled ones you can have for the postage if you need them. I would have to ask the gallery if it is OK to use them without the rotators although I would do it myself.. Buddy
'48 anglia
BOSSMAN

Re: Head Identification

Post by BOSSMAN »

Old thread but can somebody tell me if these castings have the exhaust crossover in them or not?
Nick Smithberg
www.smithbergracing.com
Cylinder Heads & Manifolds
(402) 616-7643
George

Re: Head Identification

Post by George »

BOSSMAN wrote:Old thread but can somebody tell me if these castings have the exhaust crossover in them or not?
You can see in the bottom pic that it has the tall/narrow crossover. Hot Heads intake is designed to seal that style crossover, or weld it up. Some truck heads have the square car style crossover.