Removing harmonic balancer mount

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

Removing harmonic balancer mount

Post by scootermcrad »

Having a heck of a time getting the harmonic balancer mount off my 331. Heat hasn't helped and I've killed one puller already. Should I just carefully split it and remove it? Do new harmonic balancers have an integrated mount or do I need to save this piece? I'm totally stuck until this thing is off the crank!

Thanks guys!
Scooter
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

OTC makes a 20-30-50 ton puller that will get it off, they also make a neat 2 or 3 jaw caged puller that will do the same job.

You can also take it into a shop and have them press it off before they turn/rebuild the crank.

Marine cranks sometimes take a 150 ton press to get the front gears off very simular to a rusted on balancer. The process usually damages the surfaces of the snout requiring a simple weld/turn repair.
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

It looks like I will have no use for the mount. I may just try to split it. I need a new H.Balancer and the new ones have an intergrated mount anyway. The crank I have is junk too. I have a broken rod in my 331 and it destroyed the journal at it's position on the crank. I have a 354 crank to replace it.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

If the hub is not any good, and the crankshaft is beyond repair, then I would take it off by slitting it. Use a 3 inch cutoff wheel and cut it lengthwise.... as far as you can go. Keep in mind that once you cut into the flange, you are committed. At that point a puller is just going to break the flange apart.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.