rocker arm oiling

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemi4t

rocker arm oiling

Post by hemi4t »

I have what I thought was lifter noise but after adjusting the valves I think the noise is comming from the arms and not enough lube from the oil. The drivers side seems dry as in not enough oil as compared to the right side. The rocker assemblies have been rebuilt so all parts were clean and free of crud. Is there any thing I can do short of pulling the assemblies?
George

Re: rocker arm oiling

Post by George »

hemi4t wrote:I have what I thought was lifter noise but after adjusting the valves I think the noise is comming from the arms and not enough lube from the oil. The drivers side seems dry as in not enough oil as compared to the right side. The rocker assemblies have been rebuilt so all parts were clean and free of crud. Is there any thing I can do short of pulling the assemblies?
The oil goes to the head trough a small hole obove a head bolt hole. With the assembly off it's the egg shaped one. You have to make shure that 1. they put the matching stand in the right place when they reassembled the parts & 2. that little hole isn't obstructed.
hemi4t

Re: rocker arm oiling

Post by hemi4t »

George wrote:
hemi4t wrote:I have what I thought was lifter noise but after adjusting the valves I think the noise is comming from the arms and not enough lube from the oil. The drivers side seems dry as in not enough oil as compared to the right side. The rocker assemblies have been rebuilt so all parts were clean and free of crud. Is there any thing I can do short of pulling the assemblies?
The oil goes to the head trough a small hole obove a head bolt hole. With the assembly off it's the egg shaped one. You have to make shure that 1. they put the matching stand in the right place when they reassembled the parts & 2. that little hole isn't obstructed.
Thanks George, I know about the hole for the oiling and I'm getting some lubrication on the drivers side but not sure it is enough. The engine sat awhile after assembly (3years) maybe it is some assembly lube clogging that oil hole. I've been running rizlone for about a hundred miles hoping that would clean up any restriction since I have about 75 psi pressure cold I figured it should get enough lube up to the rocker arms. Is that stand shaped any different than the rest? I did not rebuild the arms or install them.
George

Post by George »

It's shaped differently, but you wouldn't be getting any oil if it was wrong!
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

George wrote:It's shaped differently, but you wouldn't be getting any oil if it was wrong!
That's what I thought but wanted to see if anyone had any method to check for blockage without removing the rocker assembly because for me I need to remove the fender to take the assembly off because there is not enough clearence with the studs I used in attaching them. It has to be some sort of blockage since it was not doing this during cam break in.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Not uncommon for something to break loose in the oil galleries, or rocker shafts, unless the block is oven baked clean and had the living pee blown and cleaned out of it, and had the shafts, stands, arms spotlessly cleaned, prior to rebuilding.

You engine could very well be one that has had that happen.

Sad way to learn it.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

Bailiesdad wrote:Not uncommon for something to break loose in the oil galleries, or rocker shafts, unless the block is oven baked clean and had the living pee blown and cleaned out of it, and had the shafts, stands, arms spotlessly cleaned, prior to rebuilding.

You engine could very well be one that has had that happen.

Sad way to learn it.
I was thinking along those lines since the engine sat for 3 + years. Although they look spotless it does not hurt to wire brush passages to make sure. The engine was put together by a reputable builder out in California so I assumed a good job was done, not saying on these old engines some dirt can't break loose down the road.