Best 392 to 4 speed solution

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

El Coolmino

Best 392 to 4 speed solution

Post by El Coolmino »

Hello all

Trying a mate a 57 chrysler 392 to a 4 speed manual gearbox. Have looked around on the market and found adapters that use stock chevy bellhousings and muncies. Very appealing for many reasons.

But was also wondering if there's a solution to a later 4 speed using all mopar parts. Surely there's a later van or truck or something that has a bellhousing to put an A833(?) onto this 392 without exotic parts. Is there a good mopar 3 speed?

Can anyone offer advice?

Also wondering about where to buy header flanges for a reasonable price. Somebody here built their own headers and has something good or bad to say about the suppliers out there?

Thanks to everyone who sent a PM welcoming me to the board. Good group here!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

You can use the smallblock Mopar bellhousing adapter and crank flange adapter available from T.R. Waters (the best in my opinion), Hot Heads Research, or Wilcap. The stock Mopar smallblock bellhousing will bolt on then, and you use the stock Mopar starter. The flywheel you need is also available from the suppliers of the adapters, and you use a standard smallblock 10.5" clutch and pressure plate. Any Mopar A833 will then bolt up.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
El Coolmino

Post by El Coolmino »

Thanks heminut. I've seen the hot heads and wilcap adapters online. Assuming everyone bolts a stock chrylser starter to the adapter? I've heard reference to TR waters a couple times but never seen anything, can you offer a link or # to his stuff?

Does one of these solutions offer an improved starter, like by revising the mount to accept a later model unit? Is there a clearly better starter solution out there?

Also, it's my understanding that the Tex smith book, and a PAW catalog are 2 must have items for this project. Any other printed reference materials I should add to the list?

Thanks!
scottm

Post by scottm »

TrWaters Early Hemi Adapters
http://home.together.net/~twaters/

Tell him TheHEMI.com sent you!
(Altho he'll probably read this...)
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

All of the mentioned kits will let you use later model Mopar starters, including the new type mini starters. They all bolt directly to the small block bellhousing.

All the mentioned kits serve the same purpose. To "correct" (for lack of a better term) the early hemi crank spacing to the later post 62 type that we are all used to.

I will mention that no matter what kit you decide to use, double check to make sure that the pilot shaft does not bottom out in the crank. Most truck cranks are drilled deep, the car ones are not.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"I will mention that no matter what kit you decide to use, double check to make sure that the pilot shaft does not bottom out in the crank. Most truck cranks are drilled deep, the car ones are not."

What trucks had a 392?
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Bailiesdad wrote: What trucks had a 392?
None, and I'm sure Tom knows that also. I suspect he was just giving El Coolmino a heads up on something he needed to watch for and educate him a little in the process. :)
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

392heminut wrote:
Bailiesdad wrote: What trucks had a 392?
None, and I'm sure Tom knows that also. I suspect he was just giving El Coolmino a heads up on something he needed to watch for and educate him a little in the process. :)
So it helps to know a truck 331-354 crank is drilled when someone asks about a 392 combination? Oh OK that makes since.

When I check a crank flange I check for thickness, thread pattern of the flange bolt holes, Center hole depth and size, AND THE OD OF THE BUSHING HOLE. Then correct/replace as necessary for the trans input shaft and a roller bearing.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

:roll: Peter....every post on this board that has ever been locked is because of your derogatory answers. This one is no exception. Things would be so much easier if you would just drop the attitude and give answers to the questions that are asked.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.