Mechanical Hilborn fuel injection users

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Bailiesdad

Mechanical Hilborn fuel injection users

Post by Bailiesdad »

What system/method do you use to prime the injectors on start up?
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

You may want to pick up one of those books that Bobby Johnson was selling over on Racingjunk.com. :wink: That should have answers to any of your injection questions. Or give Gene or Jr. a call.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Thanks Tom, I was asking for different peoples priming methods, what do you use?
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

No secret. Get rid of the cam driven pump and mount a belt driven pump on the side of your block. Mount it as low as possible.... that way it keeps its prime.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Do you know where these block mounted parts are available for 392s with Nicson mounts?

The Nicson mounts take up most of the lower space.

I always used the distributor Hilborn drives and they are not below the fuel tank.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Great. Now tell us how YOU prime yours? We await all your useful information.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I use a small tank built into a stand that sits on top of the Hilborn units stacks. It gravity feeds a barrel valve, feeding 8 individual lines, that drip into each individual stack. I can adjust the flow with a shut off petcock. Like the sprint car guys use, or when I don't have it handy, a Zep spray bottle.

I was asking how other people did it.

Have you set up a Hilborn stack unit on a hemi engine using the low mounted pump/non cam driven pump you mentioned? Who makes the pump mounting system?
four-thirteen

Post by four-thirteen »

On my plymouth I've got the pump mounted in the olny place it would fit, with a belt drive. It'll start on it's own, but if its been sitting I prime it with a squirt bottle for quick startups. Anything under a few hours and it fires right up. I would have mounted the pump off the cam, but I had to have a water pump. David
Jacin

Re: Mechanical Hilborn fuel injection users

Post by Jacin »

You can get the pump adapters direct from Hilborn as they still make them. I also see them on Ebay pretty frequently.

We use a squirt bottle - once the motor's been fired it later starts pretty easily. We keep a squirt bottle handy - just in case. I thought about making a manual priming system - nothing fancy - cable operated to keep things simple. Others I have seen use a small electric fuel pump with a momentary switch.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yep, I've got a nice 331 ch 8d (331 354 392) Hilborn injection for sale on E bay right now. Last day.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123
polyspheric

Post by polyspheric »

I read someone's post elsewhere 5 years ago about using a small propane tank and push-button solenoid on the start cart, quick-disconnect single hose to a fitting on the chassis near the engine, and steel brake lines leading from there to small fittings in the side of each stack (above the throttle body), no picture shown but sounded good. Solenoid is powered off the cart so no battery needed in the car. IIRC he said he didn't want the propane on board (alcohol car) lest he be accused of hiding nitrous!!
Downside: solenoid failure is a potential fire haz, but can't hurt the engine if the throttles are closed. Crew has to remember to disconnect!!
No liquid leaks, can't flood, no plug fouling.
The brake lines are Adel-clipped to the frame and injector casting, so no loose hoses.