water and fuel pumps on 392s

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

El Coolmino

water and fuel pumps on 392s

Post by El Coolmino »

Can the BBC chevy water pump conversion coexist with a mechanical fuel pump?

That's what I want to do, but all the timing covers I see which are advertised as clearing a chevy pump lack a fuel pump provision. Pics I see of engines with the chevy pump don't seem to have a fuel pump there.

Am I missing something here? Can't live with the buzzing of an electric fuel pump on an old style hot rod so a mechanical pump is important to me. But also need the chevy pump so I can use an aftermarket high-flow for summer cruising duty.

Surely somebody can set me straight.

Thanks
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

Maybe you could space the chevy pump out enough to clear the fuel pump "bump" in the stock timing cover. I used a big block chevy pump on my 392 however I had to cut the bump out and weld in a flat plate. Even doing this the pump just barely clears which is all that is needed. Of course if you space the pump out then you need to space all your other pullies and accessories out..... good luck!! :)
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I am using the stock timing cover with a mechanical fuel pump. I used the adapters with the long style BBC waterpump. I used the stock 392 lower pulley, and went through a pile of waterpump pulleys a friend of mine had to find a pulley for the waterpump that would line up with the stock lower pulley. At any rate, the long style BBC waterpump will let you use the stock timing cover.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
El Coolmino

Post by El Coolmino »

Heminut, that's great news!

Do you run a stock fuel pump, or the adapter for the later small block mopar pump?
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I'm using the adapter with the later smallblock fuel pump. I had the same problem you did, I couldn't put up with the whine from the electric pump!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda