392 timing

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

jim d

392 timing

Post by jim d »

finally got my 392 into the truck & running. iam having trouble getting the timing set. the engine wants to run @ 22 advanced vs the 8 to 14 i think its suposed idle at .the engine has std bore ,10.5 pistons.mild cam,tunnel ram with 2 4S & a late model MOPAR dist.it runs smooth at the 22 deg setting but i am worried about the advance at high rpm. any idea what i can do to get the engine to run @ the rcomended advance.
JIM
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

When you assembled the engine did you mark to 0 whatever you are using as a reference (balancer?) at top dead center of number one with the cam center lined at the reccomended degree level? With the intermediate shaft installed so you can check it is installed properly.

Your distributor, are you positive it is installed at zero? (Correct position on intermediate shaft) (Dist blade parrallel to deck surface long edges)

(Lots of times the "factory" marks on the balancer and pointer are off when an engine is rebuilt or the dist is off a tooth)
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Bailiesdad wrote:When you assembled the engine did you mark to 0 whatever you are using as a reference (balancer?) at top dead center of number one with the cam center lined at the reccomended degree level?

(Lots of times the "factory" marks on the balancer and pointer are off when an engine is rebuilt )
I agree, if you're using the original balancer it could very well have slipped. I had the ring come off of an original balancer once. After all, they are 40-50 years old!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
jim d

392 timing

Post by jim d »

appreciate the response. I've gone back thru the assmble again removing the front cover.rechecking TDC by using a dial ind down thru the spark plug hole, also checked 10 deg. before & after TDC. I assured the cam timing was set properly. I set the balancer up in my vice and attemped to twist it," no slop' I reinstalled it and adjusted pointer to TDC, The slot in the itermeidate shaft is parrell to the block. It still wants to run at 22 deg.
Any outher ideas ?
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

I would verify tdc with dial indicater,then put a stick-on timing tape to correspond with your pointer at tdc.I'm assuming you are using an original front cover with a fixed pointer.