Distributor options

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

El Coolmino

Distributor options

Post by El Coolmino »

Hello all

Help me make a decision about what distributor to use in my 392. It's important that the ignition "looks old" because it's going in a 29 chrysler hot rod with an open engine. Here are the options as I know them, if anyone can educate me further I would really appreciate it. For the record, my engine was missing the dist, so using an original would involve the cost of the core.

Late model MSD direct fit- $400, new looking, reqs new looking ign box

Stock original w/rebuild. Can you get the points eliminator for these? I have no idea what this would cost since I'm not finding them on the market.

Conversion to 70s small block chrysler- Fugly distributor that requires a 70's looking spark box, have always heard bad things about reliability. Around $250 w/adapers.

Fake hunt magneto, direct fit- Probably perfect for my application with it's HEI components, but $600! Yikes.

Conversion to chevy distributor- points chevy with a points-eliminator kit isn't antique, but isn't new looking either. Around $200- cheap and has mech/vac advance for good manners.

Conversion to chevy with a real magneto- Can score a late model dirt car magneto setup cheap thru friends. Not old school, but it's still a real magneto, friggin hardcore. Fixed timing and modern looking spark box though. Timing is a big downside for street use. $325

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice or posting your vintage ign combo.
comet

Post by comet »

I'm doing the "fake" magneto option for the old timey look on my Model A. Not cheap, but no one said building a Hemi was cheap. Reliable, but old style cool:
http://www.hothemiheads.com/ignition_sy ... x_hei.html
DHEMI

Dist.options

Post by DHEMI »

Am using Mopar Perfomance electronic on mine,spark box easy to hide on backside of firewall.
George

Post by George »

318 points dist. with Pertronix, no box to hide. think it's available for stock dist. also.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Vertex mags advance as the engine speed increases, you can get different weights to bring in just about any advance you want. The initial advance is fixed.

Don Zig is the biggest current rebuilder of them.

The Chevy models rotate in reverse of Chrysler mags. Expensive conversion.

Used, runable condition Chrysler 392 Vertex, Taylor/Vertex, Jack Cotton, French Grimes, Ronco, or (Joe)Hunt magnetos float around for 300-350 ready to drop in and go.

The most relaible cap is the one that seperates the plug wires, simular to a stock type top wire attach, dist cap.

If you go with a stock cap mag get the "cap" that covers up the stock type front facing wire cap and it will keep moisture out of it.

Dale Wilch had quite a few of the mags in the last couple of years, and has spare parts very reasonable.

I tried the "petro" conversion stock points replacement units but they would not last long in a boat, moisture kept shorting them out.
El Coolmino

Post by El Coolmino »

Thank for your replies everyone. I was thinking the chevy adapter kits I'd seen were like $60. That must not address the issues with the dist itself, only the fit around the hold down collar. Decisions, decisions.

Edit- ended up going with the small block mopar distributor. Keeps it with moparts and a friend has a leftover 318 points dist that will get a breakerless conversion and hopefully provide trouble-free service. My engine was missing the gear/shaft and that was the tipping point against just using an original style, had to buy them either way.
wayfarer

distributor

Post by wayfarer »

The small block will not reach deep enough to engage the drive shaft, but I have new parts for this swap. Send a pm if you need help.
El Coolmino

Post by El Coolmino »

Thanks anyway. I've already purchased the appropriate intermediate shaft and drive gear. Apparently the later distributor fits otherwise, up around the hold down and such.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Bailiesdad wrote:Vertex mags

The Chevy models rotate in reverse of Chrysler mags. Expensive conversion.
Peter,
You are half right and half wrong. :)
Early chryslers mags run clockwise, but late model chryslers run counter clockwise. You can adapt a chevy mag to run in an early Chrysler. With a vertex you just change the bottom drive. On a mallory you just find or buy the drive for your Generator since it is a band clamp. It is that simple.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

[/quote]

Peter,
You are half right and half wrong. :)
Early chryslers mags run clockwise, but late model chryslers run counter clockwise. You can adapt a chevy mag to run in an early Chrysler. With a vertex you just change the bottom drive. On a mallory you just find or buy the drive for your Generator since it is a band clamp. It is that simple.[/quote]

The base of the magneto between Chev and Chrysler are different, the last time I had to find an old chrysler mag base it cost me $150 for the base only, to do the conversion. Most guys think that is expensive.

The advance for most chevy mags are set at a different initial advance, if someone does not have the Vertex only specializzzed tools you have to pay to have it serviced and changed.

Ave cost to service 125 plus parts up. or cost of the tools run 170 plus parts.

So 275 to convert at bare min plus small wear parts was my basis for saying the conversion was expensive.

Used 392 mags float around for 300-400 bucks or used Chevy mag for 250-350 plus the conversion.

I am old and memory failing but 300-400 seems lower than 525-625.

But what the heck, some of the guys can do a complete rebuild of a 392 for 2K so they can probably rebuild a Vertex mag for 50 bucks also. So you are probably right.

PS see what the "mag like' sold for, :o seems these thngs are going up.....might have to revise my est prices up...
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Peter,
I guess parts in your part of the country are very expensive. (I have noticed you sell your parts for premium prices) Out here on the west coast prices are more reasonable.
I just picked up a Vertex mag for a chevy for $100 at a swap meet. And I happened to know the owner and it is good. Over the years I have collected mag bases both Vertex and Mallory and have never paid more than $60 for a base. Converting a base on a Vertex is not that hard, I made my own tool. On a mallory it is even simpler, as it is just a band clamp.
I will have a good vertex for one of my desotos for $150. It just takes time to find the right parts. If you are in a hurry, you will pay much more. To me the fun is in the hunt. :)
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

My parts are oven baked, magnafluxed, and shot blasted and checked for specs, you don't find that at swap meets or eBay. (You for got to mention that in your reference to my prices.)

I have a habit of getting parts from sources that guarantee them also, swap met guys are not too good on that.

From this day forward I will refer every Vertex mag purchase request on to you, $150 is a good price for a 1K part.

(Don Zig would also like to buy every mag you have, if you have any more to sell. You know the guy in CA that services and sells them. He pays $150 for cores.)

I now have the guys that completely rebuilds 392s for 2K and you for Vertex 392 mags for 150. Things are looking better and better everyday.

I need a "good" usable 671-871 blower guy for 300-400 bucks now. :D

PS I got 2 freshly rebuilt blown iron 426 hemis Complete with 1471 Littlefield blowers for $2500 TOTAL,

but I would never even suggest the parts were worth what I paid.. (Some seem to feel the once in a lifetime deal determines overall prices.) It does not work that way, the market determines prices.

The 426 engines were advertised on Hot Heads for 3 weeks as 392s and all people did was email,and want numbers, pictures, ect from the people....I called, jumped in my truck, and drove down to loaded them up...... :lol:

They got 4 other calls, while we were loading, still asking for information...The people gave them my number for anything. If I remeber correctly the stuff lasted 3 weeks at my place.

So good deals are out there if you look, communicate, and act quick.
scottm

Post by scottm »

This is the last time I lock a thread w/o taking any action.