392 Torque converter removal.

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

IronMonger

392 Torque converter removal.

Post by IronMonger »

Here's the delima, the crank is unspinable. As far as I can see the only way to remove the torque converter is from the bottom one bolt at a time, is there any other way???????????? or do I need to drop out the crank with it :evil:
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

You may have to remove the crank and trans as a unit. Remove all the rods and pistons you can and take all the remaining rod caps off, remove the balancer along with the chain and cam gear, remove all the main caps, drill or drive out the dowels for the trans as well as the bolts on the bellhousing, and pick it up as a unit with the trans. It may possibly be turnable then. This is just an idea. I never have personally done this but it seems a viable way to get done what you are trying to do. Buddy
'48 anglia
IronMonger

Post by IronMonger »

Well, thankfully the engine is all ready out of the car n the trans removed, it's just a case of getting the damm torque converter off.:)
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Looks like you are just going to have to loosen the rods and mains and just pull the crank out the bottom. Or torch away what you don't want of the convertor. It's getting a little tricky this late at night. My answers are sure to be more understandable tomorrow. And usable ?????? LOL Buddy
'48 anglia
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

trans should come off the torque converter.

Torch the heads of the bolts and they should loosen up or burn off.
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

What I have done on 2 engines that were locked up from rust with the transmissions on was to remove the aluminum trans spacer plate to get to the upper bolts that were holding the converter on. I unbolted the transmission and removed it. This leaves the converter and the aluminum plate still bolted on. There are still a bolt on either side of the plate that need to be removed. One comes out from the front(engine side) and one comes out between the plate and converter. Wind this one out till it hits the converter then take a hacksaw or sawsall and cut the bolt off as close to the aluminum plate as possible. Now you can tap the plate off the dowels and slide it up and out. It will be tight but it will work. The plate is open on the bottom. On one other engine I also had to saw part of one dowel off to get enough clearance. Now you can get to all the bolts. Good luck with your project! PM me if I can help further. :D
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

Feel free to email me also! :D
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler