trans adaption

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

MRHP

trans adaption

Post by MRHP »

I have a truck 354 engine that came with a large 5 speed transmission. I would like to replace the transmission with one of smaller dimensions. Are there any transmissions that will bolt to my existing bellhousing. Either 3 or 4 speed would be fine. I am going to put motor in a streetrod sedan. Speedshifting is not a large concern. Any help would be appreciated.
George

Post by George »

The bell pattern is the same on all Chr,Dodge & DeSoto hemis, & the Polys that were built on Hemi blocks. That would include the '55 Chr 301 & Plym 241,259, & 270 polys, but not the '57 301 Plym poly.
MRHP

trans

Post by MRHP »

I have the truck bellhousing. I am just looking for a trans that will fit it. The center hole in the bell is 5.1 inches. Any info would be appreciated. Yhank You.
46wdxpower wagon

5 speed tranny

Post by 46wdxpower wagon »

You say you have the 5 speed,is it a clark and what model and serial #'s are on it. What yr and model dodge truck did it come out of? Would you sell it and for what price. More importantly where are you located? Thanks Joe
budmspeeco

trans adaption

Post by budmspeeco »

"Where are you?" That seems to be a question that almost every post brings up. Scott should make it mandatory in the profiles. It seems that everyone is trying to hide their identity/and/or location. Update your info so the reader at least can know where you are.
'48 anglia
MRHP

Post by MRHP »

I am located in upper Michigan. The trans is not available to me. I had to give the trans back to the fella I got the motor from. This was many years ago so I I do not know if the trans is good as it was stored outside all of this time. I am not hiding my location. He!! I usually go outside once a week! :wink: Anyways, does anyone have any more info. I checked a 3 speed out of a 46 dodge truck, no luck. I also checked a 3 speed out of a 70's dodge truck and it looks as if the register hole in the bell is 5.1 inches like mine but the mounting holes look off. I will measure more in a day or so. Will let everyone know what I find. I also checked an early powerwagon but it too looks too different to adapt. Thanks for the input MRHP.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Greetings. The usual problem with swapping transmissions is the length of the input shaft. The bolt parttern is easy to change and the bearing retainer hole can be bored out or a reducing collar can be installed. But in the end, the splines have to hit the disc and the end of the shaft needs a support.
MRHP

transmission

Post by MRHP »

The original trans had an input shaft of 7 inches from face of trans to end of input shaft. I have been digging in the dodge department and not finding anything with the same bolt pattern. I can get 7 to 7 1/2 inch of input shaft on the transmissions I have found. Are there any newer transmissions that have a long input shaft that people have retrofitted to a hemi? Would like to find somthing soon as I will be mocking the engine in the chassis soon. Thanks for the help.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

As you have found, there are other trans with proper shaft length, just keep in mind how much torque they were designed to handle. As before, bolt holes can be moved....sometimes lots of filler rod and then some machine time...
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

It would probably be much cheaper to find one of the old Speed Gems trans adaptors to Cad Lasalle transmissions. They float around for 30-50 bucks. You can modify them very easily.