PS/AC/Alternator Brackets on a '54 331

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

I'm trying to figure out how to mount all three accessories on my rebuilt '54 331 Hemi. HotHeads has the lower mounts for the A/C and alternator, but say I will need to fabricate a power steering pump bracket. I'm thinking that I would want the P/S pump mounted low on the driver's side and either the alternator or A/C mounted high on one side. Any suggestions???
wayfarer

ac, alt, ps

Post by wayfarer »

Greetings,
Like you, I think that it would look better with the ps down low on driver side, alt above the fuel pump and the a/c pump in the old generator location. We have made some 'one-offs' of these pieces but, unfortunately, there was little demand so we did not keep patterns. I do recall that they were time consuming but not difficult. Happy motoring.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

I am trying to mount an alt. on a 331 marine block using the lower bracket from Hot Heads. One of the bolt holes in the aluminum bkt. is a 5/16th that bolts to the front of the block , with the bolt going through the Hot Heads aluminum timing cover. I did not realize until I started the attaching that the front of passenger car blocks have 5/16th bolts holding the cover on and this marine block is 3/8th size. Perhaps the industrial blocks with the lower hole in the front and '51-'54 early blocks are the same. I can only guess that others have encountered this . If not, just be aware of this difference when purchasing after market brackets. I am going to call Bob Walker tomorrow to see if I can just bore the bracket to 3/8th , or if it will fit at all. Buddy
'48 anglia
Paul

Post by Paul »

I had a similar problem. I also have a clearance issue. I mounted the power steering pump under the alt. Driver's side.
I found a reasonable sized belt & blocked a federal(70's Mopar) pump in place. I Found that, I had no bolt holes to grab. The hose was in the way on the other side. So I added a "slotted"plate to the motor mount. I used the motor mount bolts to hold it. The pump is cradled in a bracket. I welded a nut on the back of the bracket. Added a spacer and ran a bolt through the adjustment slot on the motor mount plate.(which extends outward in the belt direction) On the top I was able the borrow a bolt hole above(on the waterpump crossover.. I think?) by using a piece of metal as a strap. It worked out nicely w/a spacer. It centered the weight distribution by hanging the left side of the the pump. Or you can buy a rediculously priced timing cover with matching billet brackets, pump the whole set up for roughly a 1000.00. Cover,hardware, brackets ,pump(many offer sweet pump kits pump 300+ alone), alt brackets & alt. add it up. I also had to make the top alternator bracket in order to give proper clearance. I used a "Chevy" small block aftermarket alt bracket , cut a wedge out of it to tightened the arc. This set up worked out fine . I can still pull the filler cap. I have detailed pictures however, tried to put one up. I also ened up making my own custom "Z" bar set up and linkages for a 4speed. The actual linkage to the clutch fork consists of a 302 "Ford" rod bolt welded to a 302 ford rocker socket,threaded into the proper femal pc. Those old Chevy n Ford parts can be put to use afterall. The Img icon doesn't work 4 me. Later Paul.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

I finally removed the balancer and remachined the face of the Hot Heads cover where the attaching points for their alt. and AC brackets go. They need to be machined flat . It comes as cast around the holes and is difficult to get the little pivot bracket to work right. I had originally set the alt. on the driver side and the AC on the pass. side but the steering got in the way. One good design of their brackets is that they can be reversed so the alt went to the pass. side and the compressor will be mounted up top. It is a little pricy as you said but I had bought the cover and alt. bkt. on eBay over a year before I started on the motor. It was only about 1/2 of Hot Heads cost. Just keep an eye out for these deals and plan "way" ahead. You never know when you might need that "deal" for your project.
'48 anglia
Paul

Post by Paul »

I learned something. It's nice to know that you can get a set up that can be placed on either side. I'm starting a 35" Ply there's nothing stopping me from putting some of that weight-n-clutter on the other side.

Ye" I kept an eye out for the deals 2 to 3 years ago n stocked up what I could. Mainly unique intakes & 354 /392's. Now there's too many people buying this stuff up. The bargains are getting "far and few between". Wait till the crackle fest racers destroy 20% of what's left. Early Hemi's = Investments .
Beats CD's,Bank accts,stocks,bonds,property. Buy up the favorable steel bodies and park them . There will be less of them every year. Unfortunately, more and more people every year. $$ 10year double baggers