Finishing a 331 for q '28 Dodge truck. Owner's name is Frana

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Tell me a way to get photos up for the buildup. A lot of hard earned (read that costly) control of a steep learning curve. A lot of this stuff that looks "IDENTICAL" and should work, doesn't. The only way to resolve the issue is to see how fast (and expensive) it can be delivered the next day. When you get the part you then learn it does not mater because another one needs to be ordered giving ample time to order the last part at only regular mail now that another crisis has come up. and over, and over, and over, I could have built another car with the "overnight" money wasted . Any way . there is a lot of good info in the photos we took. Just have someone email directions to post a photo or two. From the basic machine work to the decking al the faces of the blocks and heads, even welding the intake to show how to modify it to cover the tall center port in the marine / truck heads. The ports appear to be well laid out so they should flow some good numbers. If you read this all the way through you must be able to realize I am dead on my feet, not making much sense. Will try tomorrow. Gonna fire it up. Blump, blump. blump Buddy
'48 anglia
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Buddy, check with Scott, maybe he can set you up with a page in the Tips and Tricks section or something. Sounds like it would make a good article, I would certainly like to see the pics and hear about it!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Converting a marine engine for auto use is a real killer and expensive.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Got it done. Sorry on two accounts. The owner's name is Frank and not Frane. It is not a '28. It is a '40. The top is chopped. He bought the cab with the basic body work done at a swap meet for $800.00. The doors fit good and the fit of the pillars was good. Just needed finishing. A shop in Houston run by "The Saint of Paint" built the frame and painted it. I built the motor, a 331, and rear end, a 9" with a posi, 31 spline axles , and a 3:89 gear. The rear tires are 31" so the gear will be fine with the OD trans. , around 2,000 RPM at 65 . Michael's All Trans did the 700 R4. The nose is from something weird. I will find out exactly what it is later. When I first saw the paint color, it looked kinda crappy. A real paisley light tan. Then they painted the motor burnt orange like the university of Texas color. The contrast is killer. The lake style headers round it out. Scott, email me on how to post the photos. Buddy
'48 anglia
George

Post by George »

"They painted the engine Burnt Orange like the U of Texas." Could it be Hemi Orange? :D
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

It was a custom mixed color as was the color on the truck.. I think it is a little too orange for Hemi Orange. When I saw the motor after it was painted that was the first color that came to me. I just got an email from the owner. The truck is now in North Carolina being finished. He is sending more photos which I will pass along to Scott.
'48 anglia
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Bad to the bone. Ya some finished pictures would be killer!

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant