392 hemi (1957 Chrysler Imperial)

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

petritl

392 hemi (1957 Chrysler Imperial)

Post by petritl »

Good morning,
My name is Tad I live in Illinois, I am a very new member to your forum.
My reason for being here is fairly straight forward; I need your opinions.

I was recently located a 1957 Chrysler Imperial, the car is pretty rotted. I intend on purchasing this car and parting it out, but the owner isn't exactly giving it away, he is asking 2,500 for the car because it has a complete 392 ci hemi in it "that was driven to where it is currently parked"(I'm guessing at least 10 maybe twenty years ago).

I do not know what kind of demand there is for Imperial parts so I would like the engine or engine trans to break me even, so any other parts I sell would be income.

Assuming this engine would need to be rebuilt, what is a complete 392 engine and trans worth? This way I know what to counter-offer the car owner.

There is a second '57 Imperial but it is not good for additional parts sales, the only value is in the hemi engine itself.

Thank you for your time,
Tad
tad_2670@yahoo.com

cylontymany

Post by cylontymany »

I paid $1500.00 for my 392 which is about the average but you had better make sure the engine is not cracked I got a tip to the where abouts of 4 complete 57/58 imperials in a guys wrecking yard. He pulled the first one out and it was cracked because he forgot to pull the freeze plugs out 20 years ago-what a waste! He pulled the second one out and it was ok! I helped him tear the engine apart in his yard to make sure and to better transport the engine home. You really cant tell if its cracked just by looking at the engine while its still in the car-be carefull when buying one...
George

Post by George »

Typical asking price on a 392 is 2K. Besides cracked block, they like to stick/sieze up if sitting for long periods. The trannys are of intrest to restorers only.
petritl

Post by petritl »

I beleive I am going to pass on these cars, If anyone here is interested PM me and I will give you the contact info for the owner of the yard.
Tad
phil

Post by phil »

392 's go for around 8k in australia