Slightly O/T I need info on 56/57/58 power steering pumps

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

ebbsspeed

Slightly O/T I need info on 56/57/58 power steering pumps

Post by ebbsspeed »

I'm slightly rearranging the engine compartment of my 56 New Yorker, to accomodate an A/C compressor and alternator. The issue I have is what to do about the power steering pump, which on the 56 is mounted to the back of the generator. I would like to know if any of you have done a similar upgrade, and what you used for a pump? I understand the 57 and 58 pumps were engine mounted, so if I could get my hands on one of them I'd be set. Have any of you used a different pump on one of these cars, or know where I might find an engine-mounted version for a 57/58? The one thing that concerns me is something called the flow control valve in the pump that is currently on the car. In the repair manual it shows both a flow control valve AND a pressure relief valve. Most modern pumps just have a pressure relief valve (which I can re-spring to get them down to the 700-800 PSI of pressure that the 56 power steering column uses) but they don't have the flow control valve. Anybody have info as to what damage, if any, might occur to my column if I don't have the proper flow control valve in a pump? Thanks!