Stock Mohawk transmission adapters?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Paul

Stock Mohawk transmission adapters?

Post by Paul »

I have a few different stock adapters laying around however, I can't seem to find a casting number identification for them.

I have a 354 that I'm adapting a 833 4 sp to. I had it assembled. No @#&! #!#@! clutch. I disassembled it & found no problems. The grease or rotational marks at the end of the shaft show evidence of riding on the front of the shaft. Leaving a fair amount of space between the splines and where the input shaft rides in the pilot. This is a Transdapt bell ,Hays 11" steel flywheel set up. Yes I used a home made adapter to mount it to the 833 but it doesn't take up any space in this configuration. There's a flange in the adapter that it rests in.

I just noticed the difference of at least a 1/4" in thickness of the adapters
Mowhawk 1736183 (the thick one that's on my 354) and the Mowhawk 1612344.

I get the feeling I should have ground the front of the transmission shaft a bit (less than a 1/4" the crank hole isn't very deep.) & used the Mohawk 1612344. The clutch adjustments were all the way out & it was just starting to function.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The other adapter doesn't line up with the Bellhousing. The dowls are off a bit. So I'm stuck with the 173#### thicker adapter.

Has anybody machined one of these (roughly 1/4") to get a 4 speed to seat closer ?

Aluminum can sure make a mess of a mill. That's about 17/18 " across.

I'm talking about the stock Mohawk adapter that holds the starter here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Fly cutting this is going to cost 60 pr hr in machining. The guy quoted ("probably 3hrs") that usally means 4. It would sure be nice to know where to find a casting number identification reference for early Hemi adapters. Just incase I can find one that is the same thickness as the other Mohawk 1612344.

Then I could Ebay one for 50$ or less.

Anyway, the only thing I can do at the time is press out the dowls and consider the flycutting option. The clutch was just starting to touch , so I'm guessing that it will take roughly a 1/8th" I couldn't find any measurement references for the 833's either. If I have to take this apart again . I'll sell it ,along with all these Hemi parts. I've had it with the overtime & guessing games on these. I've never had to cut and modify so much in my life to get the same hp as the other mfg's. They look cool though. :(
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

The 1736183 adapter is stock for the 57-57 Chrysler and Desoto and Dodge. I can say from my own experience that the earlier adapters used with the PowerFlite 2 speed trans are a little thinner. I have both in my garage so later today I will measere both and post the results here. Al :D
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

I just checked my adapters and the 1612344 is for use with the earlier 2 speed automatics. The 1612344 was used in all three engines(Chry,Dodge,Desoto) so your 1612344 must just have a burr on the pin or maybe a pin is pressed in a little crooked. You in theory should be able to use this adapter on your 354. Good luck!! :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

I appreciate the re' I double checked the other adapter. It's not close enough. Also the bolt holes are different going down the sides.

I was kind of hoping someone would know where to get the casting #'s for all of these early hemi adapters. I know I came across another mfg's stock adapter plate. Have long since sold it.
There might be too big of a thickness variation here also 3/4" vs 1 1/8"

I jacked up the car when it was assembled & the clutch was just starting to grab.
There is a slight evidence of a wear mark on the new flywheel. That it came in contact.
When the slack is out of a clutch & it's just starting to grab, I'd imagine it would take no less than 200 thousanths (hopefully less than a 1/4") I'm guessing here. To fully engage. That would also center the grease mark on the pilot instead of toward the tip. 1/4" would probably be max before it hits the splines.

I've contacted a machinist who will fly cut the 1736183 for 70.00.
I didn't tell him he'd have to cut both sides ,since the web design probably wouldn't allow over .040 pr side. before cutting into the structural integrity.

I cleaned up the bell front side .005 back side .008

I must have cleaned up .020 of an overlap in the home made 833 adapter/to bell plate. so it is flush with the bell - flange surface.

I'm looking to pull a whopping 120 thou out here. Does anybody sell after market adapters . This is going to be too close for comfort.
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

Here is a list of the casting numbers on the adapters used with automatics on the back of the early hemis from 53-58. 1409544 was used on the Dodge and Desoto in 1953. I have one of these and it is cast steel and is also thinner than the "344". 1532488 was used on the 54 Chry. and Desoto. 1533657 was used on the 54 Dodge. 1612344 was used on the 55-56 Chry. Dodge and Desoto with the 2 speed Powerflite. 1736183 was used with Chry. Dodge and Desoto engines that used the Torqueflite 3 speed automatic. ALL these adapters have the same bolt pattern. :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'd imagine there's a 3/4" stock adapter plate that matches the 1736183. I doubt I'll end up shaving this stuff. I have an extra Mohawk 1612344 it's 3/4" They both have the same upper bolt configurations. The bottom holes dont align nor do the starter mounts. Obviously for dif. trannys.
I wonder how much someone would charge to make one out of a 3/4" plate?
If you have one of those other #'s besides the 1612344 & the bolt holes line up with the 1736183 I'd like to buy it. There's nothing on Ebay cept a 183". The older one that you mentioned is too short. Interesting to know though. Future compilations
DHEMI

Stock trans adapter

Post by DHEMI »

I've used both Transcrap and Wilcrap products.Both are junk IMO.Get adapter from Tom Waters and you'll have no problems.
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

Sorry all I have are the 183, 344, and the thin cast one. Hope you can find one that will work for you!! :lol:
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Is it possible that you are missing a crankshaft hub spacer?
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
Paul

Post by Paul »

That was the 1st fix I could think of. There's less than a 1/8" step machined in the Hays flywheel. by adding a 1/4" spacer it looks a bit dangerous. I really appreciate your opinions on this.

I personally feel this transdapt set up was made for a different manual transmission set up. That particular tranny would have a recess machined in it around the bearing retainer, so the flange in the bell would sit in it & the rest would seat nicely. I now have a homemade adapter plate(roughly 1/4") that sits nice and flush around the bellhousing rear flange. I honestly feel it is the added space however, this assembly was used at one time. Most likely Not with a 1 & 1/18 " spacer mine is ground slightly and started to rub towards the center.
I've E mailed numerous sources for the adapters the 183 is very common. My guess is that : There were two different plates used in 1954 that were approximately 3/4 inches thick. They were used in 1954 for Chrysler and DeSoto. One of the plates has a casting # 1532488. That would probably fix this. Of course I'm guessing here.

Your products are made out of higher quailty aluminum than these old Transdapts. They appear a to be a bit brittle. I'm stuck with this stuff for now. I sure would like to get a 3/4" plate somewhere. This project has taken up my space and my time. It has to get accomplished. I'm considering finding a place to park it till I have a 3/4 " plate . It cant sit here another week . I have a 35" Plymouth that needs to get going. A 68 pick up that needs a paint touch up before selling, a 67 Gto that needs only a grand worth of parts to sell for over 20k.
I have to resolve this .
I have everyday to work on this and nothing is getting done. Can anybody direct me to people who may have that adapter. Has anybody ever made 3/4" adapters to replace these stock ones. How much to make one? It's basically a 3/4" plate 17" circle traced out with a wedge cut in it. add holes 4 the bell & add hole for starter. use the "183" for a template.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Do you make a 1/4" adapter that fits inside the flywheel on one side . That also fits around the crank? I could sure use one asap. This is a heavy steel hays 11" flywheel
Paul

Post by Paul »

I just checked your site. You have a nice 6061 . Shouldn't I find a 3/4" adapter plate w/ the same bolt pattern as the 183? casting # 1532488 might be the answer if I can find one. I don't remember coming acros one myself. "before adding a crank hub apcer"? My starter engagement is perfect. I'd have to machine the adapter plate 1/4" to move the starter. The plate has material to remove in the starter area.
I'm typed out
Paul

Post by Paul »

I found a guy with the 1532488 it's the same as the 1612344 (only it doesn't have a tab hanging off it).

This mystery adapter I was looking for may not exist/ or is far & few between.

My measurements require more of a 7/8 adapter vs the smaller 3/4 . I still would have made a small plate to fit between the tranny and the bell w/ the 3/4 plate.

Anyway , I found a reasonable machnist to work with. Don't use automotive machine shops for custom work , unless you know them personally. They want to charge $$$ by the hour. They get used to easy set ups.

I found a guy to cut a total of 200 thou. out of several places. Mainly the Bell & both sides of the plate. He took my offer of 100.00 for 3 to 4 surfaces (probably all fly cut).

I found a a collector & 2 racers who have quite a few extra stock adapters if anybody ever needs any. Just E me

I'll prob. go with someone's products like TWaters next round. not as much for the hassle. The measurements should have been caught the 1st time. They are easy. Some of these older bellhosing set ups appear to be cast out of lower quality( slighlty brittle ) material.