340 Harmonic Balancer question?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

65Valiant

340 Harmonic Balancer question?

Post by 65Valiant »

Hey there,
In order to use a 340 stock style harmonic balancer with an early HEMI 392-354 or an early Dodge 270 or 315 you need to use an early style 340 that is from an internally balanced motor?, Cause the HEMI is also internally balanced, correct...? And will the key line-up and be the right size? Is a balancer of this type work for street use? see link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARMONIC ... enameZWD1V

Thanks for any input we appreciate it Brian & Gordy
'65 Valiant '56 354 HEMI
'57 392 HEMI Imperial
'59 315 Dodge HEMI (truck)
'55 270 Dodge HEMI (truck)
65Valiant

DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME INSIGHT ON THIS?

Post by 65Valiant »

Well it has been a few days with no reply to my question, I am sure some one can help we would greatly appreciate any insight about using this style harmonic balancer. Thanks again for any help Brian & Gordy
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

You can use the balancer from an internally balanced LA engine, but the keyway is narrower than the early hemi and located differently. To use it you will have to do one of three things;
1. widen the keyway in the balancer
2. get an adapter keyway from Bob Walker at Hot Heads
3. recut a new keyway
If you recut a new keyway you can have it cut in the proper position so the timing mark is correct. If you go with option 1 or 2 you will have to make a new timing mark for TDC as the original one will not be in the correct spot. I used option one on my 392 and then degreed the crank with a dial indicator to find TDC then used a timing tape from Mopar Performance on the balancer. I'm not sure if these balancers will work on the Dodge 270 or 315 as I've had no experience with them.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda