Value question on 1957 Dodge pickup w/Hemi (354??)

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

riddler

Value question on 1957 Dodge pickup w/Hemi (354??)

Post by riddler »

I have located a 57 Dodge pickup with a Hemi engine and the Powerflite transmission. Can anyone give me an idea what it might be worth??

It is not running and the cab, glass and fenders are very solid and straight but for some reason the bed and tailgate are toast (rusted).

Any thoughts as to the high and low value I might ask would be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to respond.

Dick
George

Post by George »

Are you sure it's a 354? There should be a code stamped in front of the vally cover. If it is they have asking price (rebuildable core) ranging from 500-1500$. Then figure what you might want to pay for the truck, do you add to the price? If you just want the engine only?
riddler

Not Sure if it's a 354 or not but.....

Post by riddler »

I just checked it over but was unable to find a stamped number on the valve covers (likely just covered with old oil, etc.).

The valve covers are stamped (in large letters) "IMPERIAL" and the intake manifold has a code stamped in it also;

It says SE and below that it says F7-7. Those things will likely mean more to you than me because I haven't a clue.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

Thanks, DR
George

Post by George »

Actually the code will be on the block, on a flat spot just in front of the valley cover (that's under the intake manifold) & behind the water pump. The oil fill tube is on the valley cover.
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I have a 57 Dodge truck with a Dodge 315 hemi in it. What you have is a Chrysler motor though. The Chrysler truck motor came as a stock option in the larger trucks, usually 1 ton and above. This truck should have a 3-speed torqueflite transmission though, not a 2-speed powerflite. Sounds like it is a later transplant which means it could be a car version of the motor. A running (but not rebuilt) 57 Dodge truck that has not been restored and needs paint, interior, etc... goes for around $1500. Add another $1000 for the hemi motor, subtract off some for the rusted bed. That is my guess without actually seeing it. If the hemi motor was completely stock, and it is a 1/2 - 1 ton, that would probably be worth a little more.