Chevy Trans Adapters

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Powerflite

Chevy Trans Adapters

Post by Powerflite »

I know that PAW and HotHeads both make chevy automatic trans adapters for the early hemi. Any experience out there with either of these or others I don't know about? I am looking at putting an overdrive trans on mine and getting a Chrysler A518 to handle over 500 hp or torque looks to put me back $2400. Ouch. Whereas, I can get a similarly equipped 700R4 for around $1200.

Also, is it better to spend the effort and money to put in a later model computer controlled overdrive for better shifting and economy?

Thanks in advance.
hemi4t

Post by hemi4t »

I used the PAW unit on mine with a B&M turbo 400 trans. Bolted right in with no problem. Not a 4spd trans but will handle 500 hp with no problem. You might want to check with TR Waters or Wilcap about other options.
doctor_ratz

GM Electronic auto trans on 392

Post by doctor_ratz »

I have driven a rod with a 4L80E GM trans and a TCI control module ---FANTASTIC. The thing will shift like a clutch type trans when under full throttle, and behave like your grandpa's Oldsmobile when you are cruising around town. It was behind a blown 572 chevy, so I think it can handle the Hp.
My advice - get a 4L80E for your 392, I did.
The Doc.
40 Pontiac
39 Plymouth
34 Ford