pertronix ignitor

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

erk_f-100

pertronix ignitor

Post by erk_f-100 »

Has anyone any experience with the Pertronix ignitor 1383? I have a dual point distributor that's in really good condition, but would like to be pointless and keep the origial look at the same time.
This system fits right into the exsisting dist. cap and doesn't have an exterior box to clutter up my firewall.Seems almost too good to be true. Erik
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

I've used the Pertronics conversions on several engines, no hemi's thou. They work fine BUT you must use a matching coil. Instructions are included in the kits so you can check any coil for compatibility. Failure to check WILL destroy the unit, don't ask how I know.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
George

Post by George »

I don't recall if there is a list(or what) a compatible or non compatible coil is, but I haven't been running a Pertronix coil on mine. There was a rumor on another board about solid wires killing a Pertronix. I ran solids for months w/o a problem.
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I suspect that a compatible coil just refers to the correct primary resistance. The pertronix modules require at least 2 ohms primary resistance. If you don't have it in your coil, you can use an external ballast resistor to make up the difference.