What torque converter to use?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

61hawk

What torque converter to use?

Post by 61hawk »

I'm ready to drop the engine and transmission into my chevy truck frame and still haven't bought a torque converter. What I have is a warmed up 331 (with just about every stock replacement Hot Heads replacement part), the cam is a little hotter than stock, but definately nothing too radical. The engine was rebuilt to run on the streets. The transmission is a Chrysler A-727.

Any suggestions, or do I need to provide more information?

Thanks.

Lee
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Need more info, what exactly is it going in, what does it have in it, what rear gears are you going to run, and what do you intend to do with it mostly.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

It's going in a '65 Chevy pickup and use the stock 3.07 rear end. It's mostly (or always) going to be used on the street. The truck will basically be stock except for the engine and transmission swap. The only other upgrades I'm doing are brakes (power discs | drums) and power steering. The engine was built pretty much back to stock with an Isky cam upgrade (don't have the specifics in front of me, but it was a mild upgrade), bored 0.030 over, stock replacement pistons, rods, etc. Nothing high performance.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Since you are going to be using it mostly on the street I would stick with something inthe 2000-2500 stall range. Anything with a higher stall would generate a lot of heat, especially with the high rear gear ratio you are running, and the slippage on take off would be excessive and it gets kind of aggravating when driving around town.
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

Correction: The rear end is a 3.73, not the 3.07. Will this make any difference in your recommendation?

Thanks.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I would still stick with something around 2500 stall. Anything higher than that on a street machine has a lot of slip on the street.
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

Thanks, I also asked on the Hot Heads forum and received the same answer. Looks like I'll be going back with something along OEM specs.