Correct Engine Oil For 331 Engine Lifter Rotation

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Charles

Correct Engine Oil For 331 Engine Lifter Rotation

Post by Charles »

My 331 in my 53 New Yorker started to backfire through the carb due to a non-opening exhaust valve. Last Fall I pulled the intake and valley covers and found that an exhaust valve lifter had been scored by the cam so badly that it punctured the hydraulic section of the lifter. This lifter upon examination was not revolving in its barrel as the others causing the failure and in-turn when the intake charge ignited it had no way to exhaust except through the intake etc.. Assuming that the barrels and lifters are clean as a whitle with no scores etc. is there a way to avoid this situation? I was told to use racing oil that had the good "stuff" in it.

I am a Hemi novice and any help would be appreciated. I am now ready to re-install the covers and manifold after finding a NOS lifter , checking them all for rotation etc.

Is this common for Hemis using new oil and new gas?

Your wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Charles In Maine
Charles and Ann Chiarchiaro

visit www.techantiques.com/gallery
George

Post by George »

There is an on going controversy on oil. The zinc (ZDDP) level is zero on car oil. Racing oil has it, but a very short life for the additive package. Diesel oil CI-4 has high levels of zinc, the new CJ-4 has reduced levels. Some reports a small reduction, others say a lot. Around here the only CI-4 is Wal-Mart house brand. The red bottles of STP(4 cyl formula) has lots of zinc, GM EOS has been reformulated & reportedly doesn't have zinc. The Cam Co.s break in lube is important for initial start up. There is an additive called ZDDPlus that isn't cheap, supposed to have lots of zinc.
George

Post by George »

You eed to carefully check te cam lobe & make sure it isn't also damaged.
ebbsspeed

Post by ebbsspeed »

Yes, before you do anything you need to make sure that cam lobe is pristine. Chances are 99.5% that it is NOT, and you'll need to replace the cam. If it's not perfect, you're just going to grind another lifter down to nothing. You've probably also got a burned intake valve on that cylinder......
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

I'm betting that your cam is JUNK.Replace cam and lifters.
Charles

Thanks for Input On Cam

Post by Charles »

Is there any way to check the exhaust valve cam lobe shy of pulling the camshaft? We have visually checked its surface with scope and have felt cam for any abberations. We have also checked travel of push-rod after instaling new lifter. The intake valve is fine on the cylinder.

Thanks for advice, I am not schooled on pulling a hemi cam and also any insight on easiest approach would be appreciated if we go this route now or later.

Thanks

Charles In Maine

Charles

Hemi 331 Update

Post by Charles »

We assembled the engine after dial indicating the cam in question, and have driven the vehicle over 300 miles. We are using Rotella 10-20 w oil that is being successfuly used by local Hemi owners with great success. I am aware that we still may have a problem with the same cam lobe and the new lifter though thought we would give the short fix a chance for the long haul. If it fails we will pull the cam and or engine and really tear it down. Your input is much appreciated. Now to find a spare carb (used would be fine) I am using a manual choke at present due to missing linkages on the original carb. Runs fine though want to make it right.

Thanks again,

Charles In Maine
http://www.techantiques.com/gallery