54 331 Hemi Oil Bypass Removal

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

ragtopfish

54 331 Hemi Oil Bypass Removal

Post by ragtopfish »

New to the board. I can't seem to get the oil bypass out of my 331 Hemi. It's really tight. I've bent 2- 1/4" steel rods so far and I don't think it budged. I read the article on "Rebuilding the Early Hemi" which is how I was trying to remove it. Any tips on getting this thing out? I don't want to damage the block.
Thanks, Ed
392heminut

Re: 54 331 Hemi Oil Bypass Removal

Post by 392heminut »

Ed, you might try posting your question on the forum over at www.hothemiheads.com, those guys have run into about any problem you can think of with the old hemis.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

A little carb cleaner, to desolve the varnish, often works wonders. :wink:
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Something sounds 'fishy' here....Is the block on a stand? can you see the top half of the cage? There is nothing to hold the cage in place other than the bottom half with an o-ring. If you need to save the stock parts then install the main cap loosely before you put it in a hot tank....or put 'something' just over the edge of the hole so it does not fall out into the tank and be lost forever. We sell replacement units for $25.
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

He checked with the guys over at Hot Heads and found that some of the earlier 1st Gen. hemis had a solid plug that made the system a full flow system, and his is most likely one of them. The plug didn't need to be removed.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

That was going to be my suggestion. Take the rear main off and see if there is even a bypass in it. I finished a 331 marine engine a while back and it did not have a bypass. Is your block a marine version or just an early 331 as another reply suggested? I feel that is the answer to your problem. Since the passages are a bit different than other hemis , be sure and clean all these passages as if your motor's life depends on it, which it does. Good luck, Buddy
'48 anglia