Stock dual point ignition and wires

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

Stock dual point ignition and wires

Post by scootermcrad »

Well, I guess I'm on a roll tonight. More questions for you guys that I didn't find answers to doing a general search.

I've got a 331 Chrysler Hemi that's basically stock spec with the exception of the overly LARGE pistons that were jammed in it and the water pump conversion. I'm planning on running the stock vacuum advance, dual point distributor and I'm getting ready to rebuild it. I was hoping you guys could direct me to a thread here or a good article on going through one of these things and where to pick up the replacement components (caps, rotors, points, condensors, etc).

In addition, I want to make some wires that will look a little more traditional. I found some copper core wire that I would really like to use. It's the woven style, yellow with black and red tracers through it. I have the option of 7mm or 9mm and I would need terminal ends as well as the appropriate longer spark plug boots. I would prefer the 9mm, but it looks as if there is not as much available in the way of terminals for 9mm. Suggestions? Input?

While we're on the subject, maybe someone can recommend a good performing 12 volt coil.

I would appreciate your input folks!

Thanks!
Scooter
scootermcrad

Re: Stock dual point ignition and wires

Post by scootermcrad »

Picked up the common rebuild stuff (points, condensor, etc.) from NAPA yesterday. All set with the general stuff. How about rebuilding this old distributor? Places to look for rebuild tips and or the process? Never torn apart one of these.

How about those wires? They look like this, are 7mm and copper cored.

Fine for a low to mid performance engine??

Have I stumped you guys? Nobody knows anything about the stock dual point ignitions?
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

I just made a set for a "Cackle Fest" motor I'm doing. On the advice of Tom Cirello I used PACKARD 440 wires (solid). Terminals, plug and cap, from NAPA. Insulators I had in stock (Standard Motor Parts SPP68) but might still be available if a good NAPA store will cross reference. I used the MSD crimp pliers with the right dies and, if I remember, 7 wraps of black tape around the spark plug crimps, so the wires won't pull out thru the insulators. THEN, ya gotta know "the trick". First, make sure the plug connector is centered in the insulator. Second, insert insulator down the tube till the connector just touches the plug...then swing the top of the wire, just above the tube, in a circle while GENTLY pushing down. The connector will snap onto the plug almost magically. To remove, swing the wire around the tube, same as above, but pulling GENTLY...connector will pop off allowing plug removal. Personally, I wouldn't use an early stock distributor UNLESS it was a classic restoration. A late model 318/360 magnetic distributor coupled to an MSD unit, WITH the conversion intermediate shaft from Hot Heads, is a much better deal IMHO.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

I just made a set for a "Cackle Fest" motor I'm doing. On the advice of Tom Cirello I used PACKARD 440 wires (solid). Terminals, plug and cap, from NAPA. Insulators I had in stock (Standard Motor Parts SPP68) but might still be available if a good NAPA store will cross reference. I used the MSD crimp pliers with the right dies and, if I remember, 7 wraps of black tape around the spark plug crimps, so the wires won't pull out thru the insulators. THEN, ya gotta know "the trick". First, make sure the plug connector is centered in the insulator. Second, insert insulator down the tube till the connector just touches the plug...then swing the top of the wire, just above the tube, in a circle while GENTLY pushing down. The connector will snap onto the plug almost magically. To remove, swing the wire around the tube, same as above, but pulling GENTLY...connector will pop off allowing plug removal. Personally, I wouldn't use an early stock distributor UNLESS it was a classic restoration. A late model 318/360 magnetic distributor coupled to an MSD unit, WITH the conversion intermediate shaft from Hot Heads, is a much better deal IMHO.
That is GREAT info!!! Thank you!!!

Turns out after picking through 3 stock distributors yesterday I couldn't come up with a complete one that would work. Too many things wrong with each one. Mostly related to corrosion and the advance mechanisms that the points ride on. Looks like I'm going to be heading in the SBM distributor direction, then later I'll add the spark control for the other motor that it will eventually go on. I'm building to a certain era (visually), so I was trying to be accurate with the stocker, but I'm going to have to make the exception and just use the 318 style and be done with it.

These are a vacuum advance type distributor, correct?
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Yes, the stock 318/340/360 distributors have vacuum advance. IMPORTANT! you MUST use the Hot Heads extended intermediate shaft with the late distributor, as it's shorter than the original distributor. It's not a big deal.
Chuck Stevens
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

Looks like the HHH distributor kit is a reasonable deal since it includes everything. I see JEGS and Summit both sell the same distributor for around $212 then I would have to add HHH's adapters. By the time of paid shipping/handling from both places I haven't saved any money and I might as well just by it complete from Bob...

Will shots SPP68 boots (which show to be for late Lincoln cars), work with 7mm wires?
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

The SPP68 insulator is almost 5 inches long, made from hard plastic. I can't imagine that part on a Lincoln. It's an OLD number, circa 1976, from Standard Motor Parts, and may no longer be available. I've used the TAYLOR wire sets, (HH# 27071) on several engines...they work very well AND they include the insulator and, being spiral wound, they let you listen to the radio. I usually use a reman distributor from any local parts house and just pay the core charge (cheapskate). The adapter intermediate shaft is HH# 21936. You can pick up a used MOPAR ignition box at most any bone yard or, a rebuilt from any parts store(cheapskate). If you're not comfortable doing the scrounging...the kit from HH includes all you need except for the wires. It's easier, abet more expensive, but does have the advantage of being recurved.
Chuck Stevens
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

New plan. I'm going to pick up an ealy LA style points distributor and run that. NAPA has remanned units for $50 (with core), I have a decent new coil already and for that matter I have wires, just want to make up something else for appearance sake (the ones I have are new but REALLY ugly!). I can run an MSD box with it if I want as well (later on) and I'll just need the adapter shaft from HH. I'll be setup and ready to run with that for under $100. It also is visually very close to the stock Chrysler distributor, which is somewhat important for what I'm doing.

Great input here! Thanks for the help!
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

HeHe, the reason I suggested the late, magnetic pickup distributor is...just wait till you see the 4 to 7 degree dwell variation on Mopar points distributors, their all over the place, the most inaccurate ones i've seen. But, your choice.
Chuck Stevens