new here

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

patchman

new here

Post by patchman »

Hi everyone.....I just purchased a 331 hemi and was wondering if I am wasteing my time to try to build a pro=street tubbed blower motor because as I am looking in to the specks on these motors they are only putting out approximately 180 horsepower which is approximately 400 -600 less than I desire. Bascially to acheive my goal, can anyone tell me the best and cheapest way. I know I am asking alot, but I only want to build the car once.

Thanks for any advice
Patchman
George

Re: new here

Post by George »

patchman wrote:Hi everyone.....I just purchased a 331 hemi and was wondering if I am wasteing my time to try to build a pro=street tubbed blower motor because as I am looking in to the specks on these motors they are only putting out approximately 180 horsepower which is approximately 400 -600 less than I desire. Bascially to acheive my goal, can anyone tell me the best and cheapest way. I know I am asking alot, but I only want to build the car once.

Thanks for any advice
Patchman
You shouldn't use "cheap" when talking Hemis, it don't work! :o :D Where you say it's 180 I assume you have a 51-3 "long tail" block. There are limited tranny adaptors for those. Other than that they can be built up. Usually with 54-55 331 or 56 354 heads. Get Tex Smith'd Hemi book by Ron Ceradono, Check out Bob Walkers Hot Heads site, the forums here & @ the HAMB. Welcome to the wild world of Hemis.
patchman

Post by patchman »

George'' thank you for the welcome,I"m sorry about the word cheap,My wife left with a cop,and I"m paying child saport for 8 kid"s,4mind,&4 her"s,I just ment that $$$ are limited.I seen a 1941 willys 38 year"s ago and i have been dreaming of that all this time. I"m going to try to fulfil that dream now before it"s to late.The willys Iseen had a392 hemi,but the 392&the 426 are very hard to find.I live 1 hour north of Toronto,and the cost of things that people are asking is mostly out of my reach,but I"m not going to give up.Thankyou very much for your time/ Patchman
mart

Post by mart »

I think what you need to do is first, decide how much
power you actually want/need. Then figure out a plan
to create that level of power and see if it's realisticly
do-able with your abilities and what you have to spend.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 331 as foundation
for making just about any amount of power you could ever
want - from a stock 180 or so hp on to upwards 0f 700-800
or more hp, but the big numbers are going to require a *lot
more* money and effort. I'm sure you've heard the old adage-
"Speed costs money- how fast do you want (or 'can you
afford')to go?"

mart

P.S. - I noted that you are just north of Toronto. I'm in
Kitchener Ont. Feel free to e-mail or PM me. If you want.
maybe we could talk on the phone about your ideas and
plans for your hemi as well.
============================================
patchman

Post by patchman »

Hello Mart/I would like to thank you for your time.Sorry about my spelling& my computer skills,I only got the computer for this only,I"ve never used one before.I read what you had to say about the 331.I was thinking that your right,What i would like is a 1941 willys,with a blowen 426 hemi but thats not to be.I think if i could build the 331 up like you say with the blower to get approx 500 h,p,i would be happy.I have been looking at the amount of $$$$$ for a 41 willys and that to is out of my reach.So i"m going to listen to you and other"s,first i"m going to do the motor and look for a body as i go .So if you or someone out there can help me with this that would be great.I need to know what to buy and what not to.And if you would know people who would have some of these thing"s for sale that would be super.If i could come up with the right body,i know what i would like to do with it ,But when it come"s to the motor i don"t know much at all .Like i said before i only want to do the motor once,and do it right the first time,so for that i could use all the help i can get. THANK YOU very much MART and GEORGE for your reply and putting up with me.Ihope to talk to you again. Patchman
patchman

Post by patchman »

To anyone with some advise,My son would like to build a car of his own with me.So i was looking around and found a,1964 chryler saratoga 300 series org mileage 61885 ,, Intake manifold 2205737,Door plate 49177156, I"m thinking it"s a 410 or a 413 I"m not sure.If someone could help me with anything about this .I thank you , He would like to make a pro street out of it .I was told it is the same as a 440,but i don"t know,Everyone has lot"s to say,But i come here to find out from the best.If i"m going to get information,I would like to find out the truth from the people who know what their talking about. Thanks for any advice, Patchman
mart

Post by mart »

A '64 Chrysler Saratoga will either have 383 or a 413 engine. No such thing as
a 410 cubic inch engine in a Chrysler. If it's a 413, it's essentially the same as a
440 - except for a smaller bore. (In case you're wondering, you can't bore a 413
out to a 440) A 383 will be similar, except for shorter deck height block and a
shorter stroke crank with smaller rod and main journals. Either motor is a
good candidate for a budget hop-up, or straight "bolt-in" replacement with a
later model 440 . Not sure about a pro-street full-size Chrysler, but to each
his own, I guess and power to you if you want to go that way. To my mind
though, a luxo-barge like that would be better as a cruiser - either as mild
custom or a full tilt restoration

mart
=============================================================
mart

Post by mart »

A bit of additional information. I did a quick check and if your intake
manifold has "2205737" casting number - my book shows that as a
being a 2bbl, used on both 361 and 383 engines.
mart
==============================================
patchman

Post by patchman »

Thanks for the info Mart,sorry to keep bugging you,My son just needs the motor&trans he does"nt need the rest of the car,it will be going to the scrap.The man that has the cars started it up and we went for a ride.The motor sounded good,there was"nt any leaks,noise,etc.He said it was stored for the last 28 years,and that he and 3 other guys spend a weekend on it and got it running.He"s asking $1,000 for the car but i do"nt know.
mart

Post by mart »

$1000 sounds like a *lot* of money to pay for a car, simply to get a 2bbl 383
out of and scrap the rest. How bad is the car? Is the body shot?
mart
=========================================
Last edited by mart on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
patchman

Post by patchman »

The bodys ruff,plus it"s a 4 door,needs all new ,inside and out.It"s all so very heavy.
polyspheric

Post by polyspheric »

Re: "best and cheapest way"

For 700 hp from a stock, tired 331?

Not to be cruel, but you need a second mortgage. $10K will be gone at the bottom of Page 1.
George

Post by George »

Tex Smith's Hemi book by Ron Ceridono has a chapter on blower motors, & is something you should pick up anyway. :)