Starter won't seat on HH adapter??!

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scootermcrad

Starter won't seat on HH adapter??!

Post by scootermcrad »

Okay, here's what I have... 331 short bell motor with HH transmission adapter for manual GM applications that locates the starter on the passenger/right side of the engine. Stock chevy bell housing. Standard late model Mopar starter (63 to mid-80's, or whatever).

The problem I have is getting the starter to actually seat. I wiggle it in place and then about 1/8" or 3/16" before mounted position it seems to just stop. I was thinking that maybe the starter was actually hitting the inside of the bellhousing or something, but it's hard to tell since everything is mated and mounted and the chevy bell housing doesn't have a removable inspection cover or anything. It doesn't really FEEL like it's hitting the bellhousing either. I measured the OD of the starter boss and the ID of the hole for the starter and all seems fine dimensionally.

Anyone else have this issue?? Can't start it until I get this worked out. :( :(
392heminut

Re: Starter won't seat on HH adapter??!

Post by 392heminut »

Are you using the old style gear reduction starter? If so, that may be your problem. I was under the impression that the adapters were made for use with the later mini starters. I have both starters and can definately say that the mini starter has a shorter nose.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

I am using the later stock style starter. Yes, it's bulky, but I tripple confimed that this starter would work before I went down this road because I wanted something I could replace on the road with a common starter, if needed. I called and talked to Bob yesterday and said they had never heard of such a thing and is curious to find out what the problem is.

I have confirmed that the starter is hitting the bellhousing. By quite a bit actually. It would go in with some material removal, but in my opinion, more material than would seem safe. I'm on the lookout for a stamped steel, aftermarket SBC to GM manual transmission bellhousing. SFI certified, or not. A Lakewood style would probably do the trick and offer more clearance inside.

Bummed. I should have checked this before puting the engine back in the car, but Bob and other staff at HH said this starter would work, so I didn't think twice about it. Dissappointed.
ebbsspeed

Post by ebbsspeed »

Scooter, I have nothing to offer regarding the starter issue, but was wondering if you ever got any answers about your pulleys. Kerry, over on the HAMB, has a 354 in his car, with an SBC (not BBC) water pump on it. He made his own adapters, said that 2 of the SBC pump holes lined up. He might have some pulley ideas.....
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

ebbsspeed wrote:Scooter, I have nothing to offer regarding the starter issue, but was wondering if you ever got any answers about your pulleys. Kerry, over on the HAMB, has a 354 in his car, with an SBC (not BBC) water pump on it. He made his own adapters, said that 2 of the SBC pump holes lined up. He might have some pulley ideas.....
Hey ebbs...

I didn't get any replies at all here. Was pretty surprised actually. I've talked with kerry quite a bit, and yes the pulley's holes do line up with the SBC water. I ended up getting a lower pulley from another HAMBer and then spaced the water pump pulley to line the grooves up. So far so good. Making the brackets from the alternator right now.

As for the starter vs. bellhousing thing... I scored a Lakewood bellhousing off of Ebay yesterday for very reasonable and it should do the job. I'll reply back here with the results.
scootermcrad

Post by scootermcrad »

I forgot to update this...

Indeed the starter was hitting the inside of the bellhousing by quite a bit. Problem was resolved using a Lakewood bellhousing. 1/4" thick stamped steel. Start fits perfect with MORE than enough clearance.