O-Ringed cylinder heads

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemihunter

O-Ringed cylinder heads

Post by hemihunter »

what is required to run a set of cylinder heads that have been cut for o-rings? does the block have to be o-ringed as well and can you just run a regular style head gasket and not wire up the o-ring groove or will it leak? In other words, once a head has been cut for o-rings does it require the use of wire o-rings in order to seal to the head gasket or can you use a gasket alone. Thanks for any help.
dan miller

Re: O-Ringed cylinder heads

Post by dan miller »

Shouldn't be a problem.

In a high horsepower deal, there is usually an "O" ring in the head with a corresponding receiver groove in the block, and a copper head gasket is utilized.

In a medium horsepower deal, sometimes just an "O" ring in the head (without a receiver groove) will suffice.

Usually any combination (an "O" ring, "O" ring groove, receiver groove), will work nicely with a standard composition gasket, at low to moderate power levels.

It's important to make certain that the grooves ("O" ring and receiver) are the same diameter and line up with each other.

Feel free to contact me, and I'd be pleased to answer any specific questions. danmiller@clearwire.net

Danny
hemihunter

Re: O-Ringed cylinder heads

Post by hemihunter »

Dan- thanks for the great advice. is it ok to not use the o-ring at all? will the head seal up with just the use of a gasket? this is basically a stock rebuild but i found these heads in my collection and they're all freshly rebuilt but i've never had any experience with o-ringed heads. thanks again for your time! -jeff