Chromed Rocker Shafts

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

Chromed Rocker Shafts

Post by NE57 »

I assume high RPMS and/or spring pressures would dictate chromed shafts. What's the dividing line when choosing? Up to what point are good stock shafts OK? If I don't feel the rockers wiggle on the shaft and they operate smoothly, is the fit good enough, or must this be measured for exact clearance? The motor will be normally aspirated but these heads have some Big valves.

TYVM
krooser

Re: Chromed Rocker Shafts

Post by krooser »

Hard chromed shafts are uneeded on a street engine. A race engine with high valve spring pressures would benefit but not any engine I'd ever build.
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I used the stock shafts in my 392 with Crane valve springs that have 130# seat pressure and a .510 lift cam. I've experienced no problems at all.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Thanks, its like the old expression...ask the man who owns one.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

I think the primary reason for getting new/rebuilt shafts in the first place is because the originals were worn out. If you gotta buy new why not upgrade? T.R. has them in stock for about the best price you can find. I would start my search there. Just make sure the rockers are in good condition inside and the tips are flat before reusing them. I think he also has a rebuild service for rockers. Email or call him to see if he has an exchange service. Do it all at once and save on postage. N.C. Buddy
'48 anglia