Home for the Hemi

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

Home for the Hemi

Post by NE57 »

Just picked this up. So now I'll have two simultaneous projects going, the motor and the car. Body is very straight and reasonably solid. There are a few problems but *fingers crossed* everything should be doable in time. Its a base line '66 Dart, although what I originally had in mind was a '65 Dart GT, but when oppurtunity knocks, ya know?

So the question comes to mind. Should I could keep it real granny looking for a stealthy sleeper, or make it hot rod pretty?

Literally, the previous owner was a little old lady. This blew me away, after I agreed to the deal and driving 300 miles back home, what song comes on the radio? "The little old lady from Pasdena", really, I did not make that up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottm

Re: Home for the Hemi

Post by scottm »

I vote for granny stealth, with the only giveaway being mini tubs... 8)
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

scottm wrote:I vote for granny stealth, with the only giveaway being mini tubs... 8)
Gotta go with Scott on this one, granny stealth is the only way to go!

If you're gonna put a 392 in that car you have some major modifications to do! :o
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

>you have some major modifications to do!

Yeah, tell me. I've been looking in the engine bay, measuring this, eyeballing that. So far it looks to me like there are a few areas that need attention...

Possible move the firewall back a little with larger tunnel

Master cylinder moved to left

Exhaust clearance

I think I *might* be OK with a center sump pan to clear the tie rod, if not maybe I can notch the pan or find some sort of dropped centerlink. The manual steering box *might* be in the way of headers but looks like *maybe* a stock manifold would just clear. I've found some online pics that help, one of a 354 in a Valiant, some others of empty engine bays. Starting to look like a minium year long project between complexity, available time to work...Oh... and money. All things possible given enough time/money/determination though. Maybe low and far back is the way to go. Actually, the interior is quite roomy, more than I would have thought, so moving back an inch or three won't make a big difference inside. Wondering about under dash concerns though. But all the measuring and guessing don't mean squat til you try to stuff it in and see exactly what clearances are.

I am concerned about the K member. I hear different things about whether its possible to keep the 6banger K frame and use special swap motor mounts or bolt in a V8 member.

As to granny/pretty...what I might end up doing is a granny thing first because all my efforts/money will have to go to the mechanicals first anyway. Then at some point, when I get the further itch I can address the cosmetics. For now the body is presentable, minimal rust and panels are straight, so the pressure is off in that regard.
mart

Post by mart »

A couple thoughts.....a due to the slightly narrower width and slightly less weight, a 354 would fit in there at least marginally better than a 392, but either one of them are very big and very heavy. My choice for an early A body, if it were mine, would be to use a 330, 341 or 345 DeSoto. I've seen a couple early A bodies with DeSoto hemis in them and while they are a snug fit too, they can fit without any major cutting and be made to almost look like a factory installation.

mart
=======================================================
charlie

Post by charlie »

my name is MOPAR CHARLIE, I specialize in Early Hemi swaps, I have a bit of bad news, the HEMI will not fit in your car, the engine bay is way to small, the only hemi that will fit your year car is a Dodge Hemi 241-270

feel free to call me @ 727-271-5068 cell
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Hmmmm, must not have read the series in Street Rodder where they did exactly that swap.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

I just spent an hour or so looking over the Street Rodder site, couldn't find the articles you mention re Old Hemi in early A body. Can you point me in the right direction? Was this only in print magazines? If so any clue as to when they were published?

Thanks
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Drat!, just took the bunch of mags to the barber shop, anyway...article(s) were in ?May 2009 and July or August print issues...I think. First one dealt with plans and firewall/foot box mods, second (I think) was finishing body and suspension. There MAY be one more in the series.
Chuck Stevens
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

hey THANKS Chuck, I just ordered some back issues.

Let me just say that while I'm not lookin to follow step by step instructions, it IS good to see how somebody else did it and get an idea for stuff I hadn't considered. You know, those little bugaboos that creep up. When you change one thing something else often needs changing too.

Again, Thanks