Hemi install 53 Cranbrook Convertible

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

olpanel

Hemi install 53 Cranbrook Convertible

Post by olpanel »

Hey everyone ! Hope all are well !I need help with info for putting a 392 in a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook. I have the motor done and ready and the car is still driving around with the six in it. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm new to mopar as well as this project. I have a 1955 Chrysler 392 and am going to put it in my Cranbrook. Any advice... except for ... "don't do it"

Hey everybody ! Just an update. I have begun my trip. I am going to put a JW Rod Garage Mustang II Front end in , with a twist. It's a GM . Cavalier to be exact. I figure since I am doing a different project I would go different. I just drove it to a couple of shows and we swam most of the way, and drifted the rest of the way. So I figured it needs a new front end any way ... And as nice as I make it ,I am going to actually enjoy it and Drive it on a regular basis.So Here are the latest ideas. I am going to put in the 727 tanny with overdrive, putting in a short tail from B&M. I have to relocate the brake master cylender further back under the car, fabricating a new pedal assembly and adding a power booster. I will be putting in a ford 9 inch rear with air bags,and 11" disc brakes adding a parking brake w/ assembly, due to the current tranny e brake that has to be removed.Of course I have to remove the welded in tranny cross member and fabricate a new one.The X member ( convertible) frame support will have to be manipulated a little to accomadate the dual exhaust and of course the longer transmission. I have decide to go with a typical after market steering column giving me a much appreciated adjustment range, as well as touble free turn signals emergencey lites, and such, Besides being very clean. A new wiring harness will be instaled to make the twelve volt system a little better or at least a little easier transistion. Ok while I'm tearing it apart I am going to do the floor pans as well.I will be back and try to give you some pics and an ongoing story of my build Thanks everyone I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I am .
Picture 037.jpg
Picture 161.jpg
Picture 161.jpg
Picture 037.jpg
Picture 069.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by olpanel on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
DblAdigger

Re: Hemi install 53 Cranbrook Convertible

Post by DblAdigger »

? A 1955 392?? Are you sure?
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

The 392's were only made in 57 and 58.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

I can't speak directly to a 53 Cranbrook, but almost everyday I go out in my driveway, pop the hood of my 66 dart, look over at my 392(still in pieces) and think.."How the hell am I gonna do this?"

What I'm getting is there are several areas of fitment concern. Its not just how wide the motor is. Its also oil pan clearance around steering linkage, exhaust clearance near steering box and links, distributor clearance at firewall(may have to shove the motor back a few inches to get exahust clearance, meaning firewall cutting and welding). It goes on from there. Master cylinder is in the way. Total length of your engine/tranny combo may have an effect on engine setback(because it has to start at the radiator, right?), may need tunnel work, tranny crossmember mods etc etc etc.

Now I would think you might have an advantage because I believe your Plymouth is a full frame which would allow you to massage things alot more without worrying about weakening the basic structure, depending on how much torque you plan on making.

I'm thinking I may temporarily hold off on more motor parts buying and get a junk torqueflite. Bolt the motor, adapter and tranny together and do a few trial fits. You can take measurements out the wazzoo but they will only be estimations, nothing will tell you quicker than actually putting the motor/trans into the empty engine bay a few times. Block, heads and tranny would be lighter than a fully assembled complete motor, so a little easier to move around by myself. From there I will get a pretty good sense of what needs work and whether I really am up to the task, given the restrictions of time/money/workspace. Don't faint, I have to do this outside...on a gravel driveway. If it doesn't look so promising I can reinstall the slant6, sell off the car and look for a B body, which is alot easier(I know cuz I've done it). But I don't WANT a B body, been there done that, I want THIS combo cuz its different and challenging and it seems everybody and his brother is swapping small blocks into early A bodies with available swap kits. That's all fine and good but even the most built up 340/360 is NOT a hemi, and it has become passe' almost.

I think your project would be really cool, and certainly unique. On ebay you can find plastic hemi replicas for trial fitting...might save you a muscle spasm. But I can almost hear the exclamations of bisbelief and amazement at the Sonic Drive-in when you pop the hood. It might come down to how badly do you want to succeed. So do some homework before you commit. It'd be killer though.

Let me just say i am not a wiz mechanic by any means, but if you break it down to smaller parts the job doesn't seem so daunting.

So, sorry I can't give you some specifics but that's my line of thought on a similarly challenging combo and you might try an analytical approach before you commit too much time and money into a project that you don't absolutely know in advance will work out well, cuz nobody's done it. Well maybe somebody somewhere at sometime but maybe he's not around to ask.

Good luck.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Exactly what you NEED to know: Sept '09 issue of Street Rodder magazine...P 72, RAMRODDER part II :D
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Regardless if it's 55 (331) or a 57-8 392. They will fit the same mounts & take up the same space( just a lil' deck ht dif.)
You can go with stock motor mounts (the easiest to use are the one's with the large square rubber pads) You'll need to attach homemade mounts to the frame. I used large pieces of square stock cut at angles & welded them to the frame.

I personally installed a 354 Hemi in a 50 Dodge Wayfarer. When I asked the same ? everybody said cut off the front of the frame & add a (Fatman) stub. Use pre engineered bolt together goodies w/a Mustang 2 front end. $$$$. Nah, I used common sense & measurements. You can use the same frame, same radiator support in the same location. You will have to clearance just under 2" on the firewall. It doesn't have to be the whole firewall, just where the Hemi sits. By doing so , you'll have to shorten a heater blower bracket & another bracket (I think the vent bracket) on the other side of the firewall. You'll still be tight, so you'll have to run all electric accessories. I believe the moroso electric water pump was the shortest. I made my own brackets, so the accessories fit closer.
Now, you have to worry about width. You can modify (shorten) your existing column or buy a flaming river etc. because you'll have to re-route your steering. The best way to do this is start with a rack n pinion. In this case the Cavalier center point power rack n pinion (w/ two straight steering arms {I think it was two right sides}) & a Fat man fabrication early dodge rack mounting kit. (I took a picture & made my own) you'll want to bring it right up to your oil pan, in order to retain propper geometry) so you'll be cutting the Fat man mounting kit anyway. Block hugger headers will work.
& don't be surprised if you have to modify your tranny tunnel a bit to accept a modern tranny. ( you'll want to locate it higher, so you may run out of room. I needed almost a 1" for a 1 ft area in order to clear a 833 4 speed. 833's sit up high anyway. You may be fine with an automatic. You will have to relocate your existing crossmember slightly rearward. The frame gets wider, so you'll either have to add spacer plates, or cutt the x member in 1/2 & add material in the center ( like I did) I also hung a mopar spool mount ( upside down over it) to attach the 833.

This is a gruelling process. I don't recommend it, unless you don't mind alot of work. I didn't have a plastic Hemi, so I used a bare block for mock up. I'd modify the car then test fit the block with a empty 833 case attached. It became so much shifting & moving, at one point it was easier to move the whole car & block it where I wanted it. It can be done & it doesn't have to cost a bunch however, it's a ton of work. I'm glad it's over with & the lil' 3100 pound Wayfarer convt. is amazing w/a Hemi,power rack n pinion steering & a 4 speed. It pulls so hard, the front end lifts with every gear. Talk about torque! I was promised a spot in a magazine (when I ever get around to finishing the top) I won't pay anybody 2k to do one,so I'm gathering the materials to do it myself. The editors or two hotrod / streetrod mags couldn't believe the prices I'm building these for. (Until I showed them) I used a 331 extended motors' recips,rockers n tins, to build the 354. Unfortunately for the Wayfarer, I've involved myself in another Hemi project 35 ply. Doing the top is going to be a while 1st timer. later Paul M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Nice clean install Paul!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hey, thanks! thats 1st timer 4 the convt top, not Hemi installs. Chop top'n a convertible can change the geometry on numerous functions. Now that the structure is done, It sure would have been convenient to buy a top that fits. .........................I'm almost fini' w/ the next project _ n _ still haven't got around 2 it