hilborn fi unit for 331 hemi

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

mrbhotrod

hilborn fi unit for 331 hemi

Post by mrbhotrod »

Hi:

I'm looking for an early hilborn fuel injection unit for a 331 Chrysler Hemi. I specifically need the type where the stacks face each other (not pointing straight up).

Thanks

Mark

mark@mbrinker.com
Paul

Re: hilborn fi unit for 331 hemi

Post by Paul »

The very 1st Hilborns arent the most desirable. They sat at angles. The 2nd design which sits the stacks straight up is still being remanufactured ( & re-tooled) decades later. I personally watch E- bay & hope for the best. If you want something right now. I've dealt with this guy. His prices are slightly higher however, he's honest & you wont buy junk.

Alkydigger's Parts & Pieces

6008 Charlotte Pike
Nashville TN 37209
615-483-6830
Mike Chilando
Fuel Injections-Magnetos
Hilborn Fuel Injection Dealer

WWW.Alkydigger.com
Make sure you get the correct size Hilborn for your application. They have different butterfly sizes. I believe it is the letter after the # that verifies them??? ( guessing, it's been a while) via ch8d vs c e f etc.

bare in mind: having no idle circuit, can only be slightly compensated by Kinsler dial a jets. You can restart Hilborns immediately (w/in a few min) "While hot" however, will either have to run a gravity feed tank to reprime "start up", carry a squirt bottle, or add a seperate electric fuel pump.
Electronic is the best way for the street ( 5k) too rich for my blood. Some people have successfully ran them on the streets (even though they are for wide open throttle racing) Alot of attention goes into the selection of jets to match your driving style,pill orifice sizes etc, barrell valves (some even reshape them a bit)
Anyway, if streetability is on your mind, I'll try to dig up one of Fran Olsen's posts. He sent me & (a guy who just passed away Mike Gibbons (mopar Mike) some E mails with tips. Some were from old magaizines that he'd been in.
If you plan on racing, they sure compliment the Hemis. It's kinda funny how the mfg rated hp on early Hemis. At the ground! It's amazing how limited they were stock (even the 4b manifolds had wee lil' bitty holes for lil' bitty venturies) Very few exhaust manifolds had any flow charactoristics. Some downright smothered them. Early hemi's = best quality "high nickel" castings ever. You had to do something stupid to kill one (or race it to death) there's so much material (esp in the heads). Forged recips. They were all great. Try finding good specimens on 426 Hemis ( brittle & cracked) Various other mfg's, cracks,core shifts,brittle,porous materials...later Paul