354 TRUCK HEADS...

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

HARDTOP

354 TRUCK HEADS...

Post by HARDTOP »

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I am wondering the difference in valve sizes between 354 truck and car heads. I know that there are no water crossover openings in the truck heads and that the heat riser is taller. I have heard from some that the truck heads have hardened exhaust valve seats installed from factory and that the valves and ports are the same size as a 392. Any help would be much appreciated and will guide my next hemi purchase. Thanks.
wayfarer

Re: 354 TRUCK HEADS...

Post by wayfarer »

Valves are a bit smaller, the exhaust also uses sodium filled stems and rotators. The heat 'riser' is part of the cooling system.

www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
HARDTOP

Post by HARDTOP »

So, when I upgrade to bigger valves, are the 2.0" valves too big for a 354? I know a performance chev 350 usually has 2.02 intake valves and 1.94 exhaust, but hemi's are supposed to breath alot easier. Are 2.0" valves too big? I don't want to give up all of my low range torque as this will be a street engine.

Thanks for the help!
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Yeah, don't try to compare the Hemi to other lesser engines...lol :lol:
The stock 354-392 valves are 2.0 x 1.75 and will do everything you need on a street engine. Keep in mind that the stock sodium filled exhaust are about 7/16" dia so new guides are a given.

www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.