PAW Tunnel Ram manifold?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

PAW Tunnel Ram manifold?

Post by NE57 »

Anyone try one of these? What'd you like/dislike? How's it work for street?

Unfortunately their catalog gives no details as to rpm range. All it says is runners are "sized for good throttle response and driveability"... open to interpretation.
speedicusmaximus

Re: PAW Tunnel Ram manifold?

Post by speedicusmaximus »

NE57,

Which Hemi is it for - 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation ?

Can you provide a link or scan of the page ?

Thanks,

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
NE57

Post by NE57 »

I confess...I'm a techno-no-know, I can't figure out how to copy and paste a snapshot from a pdf. But its #5750 from PAW's downloadable hemi web catalog page 39 for the 1st generation 392. It has removable top plates for a variety of carb configurations similar to the Hot Heads version.

OK. I just went to PAWs regular site and apparently while they still show the top plates they no longer list the manifold itself. I wonder if that says something. Like lack of demand?

I've seen the hotheads manifold come up on ebay once or twice, and the weiand 2x4 seems to be semi-regular offering but never the PAW unit. Oh well.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Here is my modified PAW tunnel ram with a Hogan dominator top. The second picture is an original A.I.U. which the P.A.W. seems to be based upon.

Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Why are the bolt holes welded up?
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

With this type of intake, you will see that the port size is compromised..... due to the original bolt hole location. Note the indentations in the AIU runners for bolt clearance. That extends into the port itself, limiting porting.

If you look close at my intake, you will see there are still 4 bolts per side being used, in the stock location.... but of a smaller diameter than stock.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
Feral child

Post by Feral child »

A question for TR Waters:

I have never seen one of these units off an engine, but as I recollect PAW stated that the runners are sized for good street performance (or something of that sort) - In your evaluation then, are they on the small size for serious performance work as with the large Dominator?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Fc
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

In my opinion, they are a bit small as-cast for serious H.P.
These pictures show the as-cast ports under a Mr.Gasket (or BEST Gasket) "Large Port" intake gasket. There is no way to open the runners up without welding or epoxy.

Feral child

Post by Feral child »

Many and belated thanks Tom- the core placement control isn't really awe inspiring either! Looks to me like it would be almost as much work to correct one of these as to fab a good sheet metal unit.
oldngood

Post by oldngood »

the manifold appears to be made to match the early small port/small valve 1951-53 hemi heads, by the looks of the ports

I have run single 4 barrel ram manifolds before, and they run well. They don't have the part throttle response of a dual plane, or single plane conventional manifold, but they have more power above 4000 rpm and flow a ton of air- it's a straight shot at the back of the valve from the carb

I'd still run the single 4 bbl ram, rather than a stock cast iron 4 bbl intake, or dual plane aluminum intake single 4- the ram makes the engine feel like it will never stop revving.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

TrWaters wrote:With this type of intake, you will see that the port size is compromised..... due to the original bolt hole location. Note the indentations in the AIU runners for bolt clearance. That extends into the port itself, limiting porting.

If you look close at my intake, you will see there are still 4 bolts per side being used, in the stock location.... but of a smaller diameter than stock.

Tom, when you say the bolts are of a smaller size, do you mean the threads are the same size as stock but the bolts have a smaller head(hex head maybe)? Or, have you done something so the heads will accept a smaller diameter bolt thread?

I have a pair of manifold adapters. I plan on using these as the base to build a manifold similar to what we're discussing (well I'm gonna try anyway). I've found some alum round tubing available in a size that when reshaped to the rectangular port should be pretty darn close and with a wall thickness of .125" hopefully would minimize the bolt interference issue, but we'll see.

When I actually start fabrication I'll take lots of pics and post them. I'm sure I could use advice and opinions along the way, since this will be my first ever attempt! So expect stupid questions.