wich older hemi is best to build for raceing???

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

mopar1972

wich older hemi is best to build for raceing???

Post by mopar1972 »

just figer i would see what is the best pre 60's hemi to build for a raceing motor. would like to build one to put out about 450-500 hp. also any i deals on building one to make the hp range im looking for.also any i deals on parts that would be need to build. such as crank,rods, ect thanks guy i love a mopar. im building a 72 RR clone. i also have a dart i would trade for a non running hemi.
mopar1972

Re: wich older hemi is best to build for raceing???

Post by mopar1972 »

oh yeah i would like to build this motor to take a beating all day. want to build motor were it can live with some rpm and not fly a part. this motor would go in my 72 RR clone. to give some ford and chevy boys some run for there money. i know alot of people say build a 426 hemi. but hey if you have the money to do it.its up to you. i just know what i want to do.
George

Post by George »

Hemis were gone by '72, so an accurate Clone would be a 440, cheaper to build & more power than an early hemi. If you insist on an early Hemi the 392 is the way to go. Most CID & lots of performance parts available.
bpwordman

Post by bpwordman »

Some thoughts to consider-The 354 heads where often considered the best heads for high speed operation(drag racing),due to their nearly straight intake ports (air/fuel mixture velocity).Some would say that the 354 has a better bore/stroke ratio.You indicated that you wanted an early Hemi (whale motor).It makes for a more difficult swap,but the wow factor can be worth it!
oldngood

Post by oldngood »

mopar1972 wrote:just figer i would see what is the best pre 60's hemi to build for a raceing motor. would like to build one to put out about 450-500 hp. also any i deals on building one to make the hp range im looking for.also any i deals on parts that would be need to build. such as crank,rods, ect thanks guy i love a mopar. im building a 72 RR clone. i also have a dart i would trade for a non running hemi.

for racing there's only one way to fly, the 392- especially naturally aspirated in a heavy street car.

after you build and dial in a 392, you won't want to go back to a 331/354