Chevy Distributior?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

Chevy Distributior?

Post by NE57 »

With the motor came an adapter for a chevy distributor. There's a whole bunch of distributors available. Can anyone simplify the decision for me? What to look for, what to avoid? I expect a tight fit next to the firewall so a small, female socket cap is better I think.

I found a pertronix hall effect dist w vac/mech advance but I'm unfamilar with Hall. Good enough for 6K rpms? Pros? Cons? Pet peeves? It looks simple which I like.

But maybe the adapter is not the way to go? Will the dist sit higher on the block? Comes back to tight fit.

Thanks
mart

Re: Chevy Distributior?

Post by mart »

NE57 wrote:With the motor came an adapter for a chevy distributor. There's a whole bunch of distributors available. Can anyone simplify the decision for me? What to look for, what to avoid? I expect a tight fit next to the firewall so a small, female socket cap is better I think.

I found a pertronix hall effect dist w vac/mech advance but I'm unfamilar with Hall. Good enough for 6K rpms? Pros? Cons? Pet peeves? It looks simple which I like.

But maybe the adapter is not the way to go? Will the dist sit higher on the block? Comes back to tight fit.

Thanks
-----------------------------
I'm not familiar with the Chevy distributor adapter/conversion
thing at all, but about 'Hall effect' ignition triggers in general
and the Pertronix set up in particular - there's nothing wrong
with them at all. Good for 6000 rpm for sure.....and way
beyond that level too.

mart
===================================================
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Well I got hold of an inexpensive chevy distributor and fitted the adapter to it. I'm disappointed in how much higher its gonna sit on the block. Not only will it look odd,like the Seattle Space Needle, it will block my idea of a 3X4 tunnel ram manifold. What I need is to be able to tuck the dizzy as low as possible so I'll have some clearance for the rear carb. I can sculpt the plenum to a degree and by varying the height of the intake runners I think its doable but only if I have a low dist. This doesn't look like its the right dizzy conversion setup, tunnel ram or not.

So...I'm looking for actual experience with the smallblock mopar dist conversion. Can anyone say how high the finished setup sits on their 392? I'm guessing at this point that the best solution might be a stock dizzy converted to electronic or a new $Mallory.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

I went to a local auto parts store and bought a reman small block MOPAR V-8 electronic distributor,. Then ordered the longer intermediate shaft from Hot Heads. Changed the shaft in the original gear, re curved the distributor. Went to Pick-a-Part and got the connector that goes to the distributor WITH about 6/8 inches of wire on it, spliced an MSD connector onto the wires...plug and play. :D
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I'm with DblAdigger, just run an electronic Mopar smallblock distributor. It takes up the least amount of room and works great. I never had a problem with mine.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

I've been comparing pics of the Mallory diz and 318 diz. Judging solely from those pics it looks like the Mopar is somewhat taller than the Mallory, the MSD is even taller. Could anyone measure the heights of their dizzies. Is a stock 392 diz the same as a Mallory? If the 392 is the lowest I'll look into converting one to electronic.

If not for the tunnel ram, yeah the Mopar looks the best choice.

Luckily I scored an NOS weiand 2x4 for cheap so I can use that if I can't make the tunnel ram work because of dist clearance. I hate to walk away from a challenge though.

As always, thanks for the experienced guidance.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

I'd go to Hot Heads for your shortest answer on this.

http://www.hothemiheads.com/

It must be something that they've covered before. There is also mention of ignition options in Tex Smith's book on early Hemi's.

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
George

Post by George »

3 4 bls? :o
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Hey George, yep 3x4. I started a thread called 12 pak tunnel ram fabrication down below somewhere.

3 AFB's in a row are just about the length of a valve cover so that's why I'm concerned with dizzy height. The plan is to have the plenum kind of curve around and over the dizzy. The higher the plenum and the lower the dizzy...the smaller the problem becomes. I took pains to find 3 400cfm carbs, Huh, guess what application they are from. Yep 392.
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Well I picked up my block at the machine shop this morning and over in the corner they had a 392 on a stand with said Chevy distributor conversion and the dizzy stuck up high like a magneto. I should have thought to snap a pic but I was busy watching my machinst scrape the cam bearings (I'm glad he called and said bring your cam, cuz he's not exactly close by!)

So I post this for anyone considering the chevy conversion since this tidbit is not mentioned anywhere I ever found...its much higher, whether that is a problem depends on your application. In my case the prob is with the plenum but for somebody else it might be firewall clearance (well that might have been a prob for me too).
moparjack

Post by moparjack »

I am running the Mallory Unlite on my 392, but with the 2x4 Weiand intake. Can't remember for sure, but I don't think the Mallory is any higher than the stock. If I were to do it over (right now, can not afford a do-over), I would convert the stock distributor. Have not had best of luck with the Mallory :evil: .
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Petronics makes a conversion for a 392 distributor, or dizzie. What problem? I have installed and used a lot of their conversions and have yet to find fault or a problem. Engines start and run much better. Just be sure to open the gap on the spark plugs to electronic ignition specs. The wider the gap you can run the better. I really want to see this 3x4 setup. Unless the flow rates on each carb is less than 300, or even 200, I think you are pissing in the wind. Even WOW factor won't offset the miserable performance you will get. If it was such a great idea, it would have been in production long ago by all the intake manufacturers, or at least on some sort of v8 configuration. Save your creative talents on something that will work!!! Buddy
'48 anglia
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I sell a conversion to use the GM HEI module on the stock '70s mopar electronic distributor. That is what I use on all of mine. You can check it out at: www.designed2drive.com
For a stock look, I would use the Pertronix II in a stock 392 distributor.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

NE57 wrote:Well I picked up my block at the machine shop this morning and over in the corner they had a 392 on a stand with said Chevy distributor conversion and the dizzy stuck up high like a magneto. I should have thought to snap a pic but I was busy watching my machinst scrape the cam bearings (I'm glad he called and said bring your cam, cuz he's not exactly close by!)

So I post this for anyone considering the chevy conversion since this tidbit is not mentioned anywhere I ever found...its much higher, whether that is a problem depends on your application. In my case the prob is with the plenum but for somebody else it might be firewall clearance (well that might have been a prob for me too).
Scrape my cam bearings? I have put in a LOT of bearings but don't think I have ever had this problem. I paid a BUNCH of money for good bearing drivers to eliminate that issue. He should have removed the offenders at HIS expense and replaced them until they were correct. Maybe you need another machinist. Again. I have noticed hemis are a bit prone to scrapes and some galling when removing original bearings. The cam bore needs to be carefully prepped before trying to install the bearings!! I sure wish you were closer. I am so happy this is the new year. Me again
'48 anglia