Remote water pump for the street?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

Remote water pump for the street?

Post by NE57 »

Hmmm, this idea seems interesting. Would certainly clean up the appearance of the motor and maybe shorten the overall length of the motor, engine bay being small.

The pumps I see start at under $200 plus whatever else is needed to make it work.

Maybe I'm being dumb but it'd be shame to cover up a nice aluminum front cover with a regular pump. For me anyway, looks of a hemi is defintely part of the deal. Finned covers are just cool.

What kind of flow rate would be good enough? Any pitfalls?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks
speedicusmaximus

Re: Remote water pump for the street?

Post by speedicusmaximus »

If you mean the electric pump type, as seen on some drag race vehicles, then the only draw back I'd consider would be the constant output of the pump: no matter what RPM the engine's doing, the pump will continue regardless at a fixed RPM (ignoring voltage fluctuations). Simplistically, if the pump's set up to move enough fluid for when the engine's hot, then it will move too much fluid when it's cool, or vice virsa. Other than that, it could work.

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
NE57

Post by NE57 »

It would still have a thermostat on the crossover, so overcooling shouldn't be a problem. Unless for some reason too much pressure builds up in the cooling system. Hmm, I wonder how the impeller gets lubricated. When there's no flow(cold, thermo closed) the impeller still turns so I'd guess a bypass or recirculating system might be needed? Or maybe there's a variable output elec pump?
Black Rose Racing

Post by Black Rose Racing »

This has been done before and your heading in the right direction (I believe) first figure out the BTU output of your motor, Its basically a heat pump. This will allow you to correctly size your radiator. Since you will be running an electric fan it will/should have a a thermo switch for which ever temp set point (range) you select.
The coolant will always be running in a loop when the pump is on so lubrication of the impeller shouldn't be a problem. And you have mentioned running a thermostat, all good. Just remember that many thermostats open and close a different rates, anywhere from 8 seconds up to 40 sec. or more. This will effect fluctuations in temp as you sit in traffic. (from what I've read your setting this up mostly for the street.)
You will most likely want to look at a fairly good alternator as there will be increased demand with the remote fan/pump. As to pump selection, do the research and ask questions of the manufactures. (probably more reliable than some guy posting on the interweb, reference this post...) do the home work and you'll be fine.

I'd also like to to thank Scott for getting me on this site, I've learned much here already and if I pay attention I'll probably learn much more.
Thanks