Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scottm

1969 4x4 HEMI Corvette

Post by scottm »

No, you did not read that title wrong... :o

1969 Chevrolet Corvette - Ocean City Beach Rescue
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_1 ... index.html
When you live close to the shore, like I do, it's not uncommon to see four-wheel-drive vehicles with surf-fishing racks on the front bumper. The formula is this: fishing racks + beach = 4WD vehicle, usually a truck. That's what threw me when I first saw Dewey Powell's menacingly cool-looking '81-bodied Corvette at the Strictly Corvettes Show in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The first thing I noticed was the stylized fishing-pole rack and the way it was angled back from the middle to match the car's pointed nose. Then the tall tires and L88 wheel flares got me. "Wow," I thought, "What's this?" And that was before I looked under the hood and saw a dual-quad 392 Hemi.
The 392 Hemi is out of a '58 Chrysler New Yorker. We tend to forget just how much cast-iron was in those old Hemis. With a Turbo 400 and a 1,800rpm-stall torque converter, Powell's engine, trans, and 4WD transfer case weighs around 1,000 pounds. The 392 Hemi has 10.5:1 compression and uses a 0.490-lift hydraulic cam operating stainless steel valves. The aluminum intake manifold is the only substantial part on this engine that's not cast-iron. The current two Edelbrock carbs will soon be replaced with two 600 Holleys.
Click on the link to read the full details of this HEMI project. I dig it. 8)
mart

Re: 1969 4x4 HEMI Corvette

Post by mart »

....And did you read the part of the article
where it says he's owned and driven it for
32 years and has put over 190,000 miles on
it??? That's impressive!!!

mart
=============================================