windage tray, oil pan Qs

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

NE57

windage tray, oil pan Qs

Post by NE57 »

Does it make any real difference if you mount the tray closer to or further from the crank? I'm using a Milodon SB Mopar tray.

How much clearance should be below a stock oil pickup? I had to beat the sump to get some clearance back because it had been squashed at some point, so I don't really have a reference.

What's the preference for securing the pickup tube in the pump?

Thanks
budmspeeco

Re: windage tray, oil pan Qs

Post by budmspeeco »

Nothing about the windage tray. BUT!!! I saw this on eBay and thought of you immediately. Item # 190450558611 . Apparently you are not the only one with clearance problems . Buddy
'48 anglia
NE57

Re: windage tray, oil pan Qs

Post by NE57 »

Yeah well I still have the big valve heads so maybe someday, or else they will help finance the project.

If anyone recalls, I mentioned that I couldn't be guaranteed that new rockers or custom valves would definitely solve my problem, as this fella on ebay experience (I hadn't even thought about the tubes, I don't know that I'd start grinding rockers without much more info or another approach). I remember reading somewhere that for the street you should not change valve sizes. Learning the hard way I see its maybe not for performance issues so much but the can of worms you open when you change stuff around. I see this guy's valves are .100 longer, I'm not positive but I think my valves are .200" longer, which maybe would make things even worse.

Thanks for heads up though!

PS, in fitting the pan I see that the bolts holes look like a problem to line up so I got some Milodon studs, they have tapered ends. Find out this weekend if they will do it for me. Should, hopefully, fingers crossed. The problem here is the main girdle just hits the front of the pan. I don't really want to pull the girdle to grind it so I'll use some tools I have called dapping punches on the pan to hopefully gain the smidge of clearance I need. A dapping punch is a steel ball on the end of a rod that gives more control than a ball peen hammer. Swinging a hammer inside the pan is not the most precise action in the world.