Stroker 392 Crankshafts

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

johnny5

Re: Stroker 392 Crankshafts

Post by johnny5 »

The local crank shop was a bust. Nice site, no customer service. Sadly commonplace today.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

If you have deep pockets and really really want a big crank then check out Winberg Crankshafts. There are still a number of custom shops doing welded strokers but most will be in the $2500 range. Sadly, the shop that I used decades ago has long been closed...go figure....
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
mart

Post by mart »

You might want to check with Moldex in Redford MI, just outside of Detroit. If you've got the bucks for a billet stroker, they'd be the guys to go for an early hemi stroker crank. They also do welded strokers, crank repair, nitriding etc. They've been in the custom crank business for more than 50 years and are one of the best and most knowledgeable custom crank manufacturers around. They're pricy for sure, but you get what you pay for and as the old saying goes - "If you want fresh, first class, premium-grade oats, you're going to have to pay a premium price - but If you're willing to settle for oats that have already passed through the horse, then those will come a little bit cheaper!" :D
mart
----------------
Moldex Crankshafts
12001 Telegraph Rd.
Redford MI, 48239
Web:
http://www.moldexcrankshaft.com
E-mail" joe@moldexcrankshaft.com
Phone: - contact Joe at 313-561-7676 or 313-387-6099 with any questions and pricing.
Fax: 313-5617024
=========================================
Bored&Stroked

Post by Bored&Stroked »

I know this is an older post, but here are a few comments:

1) Stroking Original 392 Cranks: This was very commonplace back in the day - with guys like 'Reath Automotive' in Long Beach, CA being one of the well known names. In addition to welding up the cranks for stroking, they also added center counter weights. Most of these early strokers were hard chromed and had the main journals grooved - something you don't see much of these days. Most that I have seen are also using very large bearing clearances - so you probably can't use them on the street anyways. Be very careful if you find an old welded stroker crank and get excited about buying it -- I consider most of them to probably be junk. Also, the hard chromed journals are very hard . . . kind of brutal on bearings.

2) New Stroker Cranks: There are a variety of folks who can make you a brand new billet stroker crank for your early Hemi. Names like Velasco, Crower, etc.. I've used Crower for custom crankshafts and while they take a long time (like 4 - 6 months, just like everybody else!), they will create you a very nice crank for a competitive price. Yes - you're talking $2,500 - $3,000, but you'll get exactly what you need, you'll have whatever rod journals you want to run (like 2.2 BBC), etc..
57' 392 Hemi -- much to learn!
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

It's getting harder to work on these things every day. Welded strokers have gone up to the price SCAT and Eagle are selling new forged cranks for (for almost every engine but the 331, 354 ro 392 that is) and no one like myself will spend over 2K on a crank. Something's gotta give. I wonder who's gonna step up and make a 4.25" low deck and 4.whatever crank for the 392 blocks :(
Bored&Stroked

Post by Bored&Stroked »

johnny5 wrote:It's getting harder to work on these things every day. Welded strokers have gone up to the price SCAT and Eagle are selling new forged cranks for (for almost every engine but the 331, 354 ro 392 that is) and no one like myself will spend over 2K on a crank. Something's gotta give. I wonder who's gonna step up and make a 4.25" low deck and 4.whatever crank for the 392 blocks :(
It is the classic tale of supply and demand. There are not enough people buying 392 stroker cranks to make them viable in the low to midrange price points. Truth be told there are a ton of more folks building flathead Fords than the Hemi boys can imagine - which is the only reason we can buy CAST stroker flathead cranks for $500 or so. So, if you really need big early cubes, you're going to pay $2,000 to 3,000 for a custom crank. Building a big cube early Hemi costs 2 - 3 times as much as most other engines - just a fact of life. With that said, I just NEED to build one!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

I find it interesting that the early Chrysler Hemi doesn't get more aftermarket attention. There has never been another engine that I can think of that looks so good in an open bay car. It's got to be the coolest looking engine in the galaxy!

Look at the Chevy 409, an "Odd-Ball" engine (in my opinion). It was only produced for 8 years just like the early Chrysler Hemi. It has support for blocks, cranks, heads, pistons, rods, you name it all available off the shelf.

Go figure...
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
Bored&Stroked

Post by Bored&Stroked »

DavidBraley wrote:I find it interesting that the early Chrysler Hemi doesn't get more aftermarket attention. There has never been another engine that I can think of that looks so good in an open bay car. It's got to be the coolest looking engine in the galaxy!

Look at the Chevy 409, an "Odd-Ball" engine (in my opinion). It was only produced for 8 years just like the early Chrysler Hemi. It has support for blocks, cranks, heads, pistons, rods, you name it all available off the shelf.

Go figure...
Yeah, I was sincerely hoping that the effort to produce an aluminum 392 block was going to go forward . . . seems to have disappeared. I definitely would have scrounged and saved for one of those!
johnny5

Re: Stroker 331-354-392 Crankshafts

Post by johnny5 »

I emailed several places including SCAT and Eagle. If any of you want an affordable crank drop a note to service@eaglerod.com and Cranktech@ScatEnterprises.com and let them know there is a potential market for these. I told them I was interested in the low deck, it's up to you.
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

I think the 392 blocks are being made but they're not being advertised (Gene Adams). Used cranks are on the high side for asking price, if you want a low deck or tall deck stroker then Ohio will make one for just under $1600. Since that's around the same cost as buying a 392 OEM core and modifying it I'd go with the new billet if I had to.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

[quote="Bored&Stroked
Yeah, I was sincerely hoping that the effort to produce an aluminum 392 block was going to go forward . . . seems to have disappeared. I definitely would have scrounged and saved for one of those![/quote]

The 'Adams Project' is still alive, it is just going through all of the trials and tribulations of such a huge undertaking (without the benefit of really deep pockets) so they will be expensive (+/- $5k) and slow to market. Last that I heard an iron block will also be available.
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
Bored&Stroked

Post by Bored&Stroked »

wayfarer wrote:
The 'Adams Project' is still alive, it is just going through all of the trials and tribulations of such a huge undertaking (without the benefit of really deep pockets) so they will be expensive (+/- $5k) and slow to market. Last that I heard an iron block will also be available.
Please elaborate if you happen to know any details! :) Would love to know when the product will be completed, availability dates, contact information, etc..

Thanks!