Adjustable rocker

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Hemi8me

Adjustable rocker

Post by Hemi8me »

Should I just get the adjustable push rods or get a set of adjustable rockers? Decisions?????

Any real pros or cons?
The hemi is all I have for my Rat Rod.....1956 354 HEMI
392heminut

Re: Adjustable rocker

Post by 392heminut »

Adjustable pushrods are less expensive, but more of a PITA to adjust. With hydraulic lifters you only have to set them once though.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
NE57

Post by NE57 »

Why not price out all the parts and machining you need for a basic but quality build. See if the extra expense is in the budget. At your power target I think the gain is only convenience. How often are you going to adjust the valves on a cruiser anyway?

My 354 had solids with adj pushrods. After break in and the second adjustment they stayed pretty steady.
Hemi8me

Post by Hemi8me »

NE57 wrote:Why not price out all the parts and machining you need for a basic but quality build. See if the extra expense is in the budget. At your power target I think the gain is only convenience. How often are you going to adjust the valves on a cruiser anyway?

My 354 had solids with adj pushrods. After break in and the second adjustment they stayed pretty steady.
Cool. Sounds like adjustable push rods it is.

Just seems like the price for some things are coming down.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

NE57 wrote: My 354 had solids with adj pushrods. After break in and the second adjustment they stayed pretty steady.
I always wondered how often you really needed to adjust the valve lash on a solid lifter cam in a street car. I would imagine a higher valve spring rate would make adjustment cycles sooner. Does anyone know when the Chrysler 300 Series service manual recommends adjusting the rockers on those engines?

Sorry for the thread jack Hemi8me. :roll:

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
Hemi8me

Post by Hemi8me »

DavidBraley wrote:
NE57 wrote: My 354 had solids with adj pushrods. After break in and the second adjustment they stayed pretty steady.
I always wondered how often you really needed to adjust the valve lash on a solid lifter cam in a street car. I would imagine a higher valve spring rate would make adjustment cycles sooner. Does anyone know when the Chrysler 300 Series service manual recommends adjusting the rockers on those engines?

Sorry for the thread jack Hemi8me. :roll:

David
Good question. I can't seem to find the answer in my 1956 service manual.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

According to my old Chilton's book, all Chrysler 300 MECHANICAL lifter cams had the valve lash set at .015 on the intakes, .024 on the exhaust. ALL OTHERS were hydraulic lifter engines. 8)
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

DblAdigger wrote:According to my old Chilton's book, all Chrysler 300 MECHANICAL lifter cams had the valve lash set at .015 on the intakes, .024 on the exhaust. ALL OTHERS were hydraulic lifter engines. 8)
Thanks DblAdigger!

Does anyone know the mileage interval on the odometer before the factory recommends you adjust them on the 300 series?
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law