Whats the best headers ???

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

olskool

Whats the best headers ???

Post by olskool »

I have a 29 Model A w/ a 392 blown motor and i have Sandersons over the frame Zoomie headers with baffels. This setup is still very loud almost to the point of not having any noise reduction at all !! This is a fenderless car so i need to come over the frame with headers. So my question is ,is there a 4 in to 1 header that will accept a bigger baffel in a 3"or3.5" tube with a kick out on the end??? Any suggestions out there or other ideas? Im not able to run the exhaust under the car... Any help will be appreciated. OLSKOOL
DavidBraley

Re: Whats the best headers ???

Post by DavidBraley »

Hi Olskool,

Don't know if it will help, but it falls into the "other ideas" part of your request. Hopefully it will give you some ideas.....

There is a nice project on the HAMB by a member called Brian Bass (Bass is his user name over there) who put an early Hemi into a 29 Model A coupe. He made his own headers and routed them inside the frame rails and under the car. The exhaust side exits just in front of the rear tires. He is also running a four speed, so in some ways that makes it even harder to do (no room). If you are comfortable welding, you might be able to do the same kind of thing with one of those DIY header bends and collector kit. Here is a link to his build thread. The header fab starts on post #14:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=104314

The car he built is a huge inspiration for my own personal project. I have a 392 that I'm putting into a 29 Model A coupe as well. I'll be lucky if I can make my project look half as good as his. :wink:

I hope this helps. Here are a few shots of his car and how it turned out:

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Here's a link to Hot Heads' over the chassis headers. I believe it may be what you're looking for.

http://www.hothemiheads.com/headers_rel ... assis.html
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

I modified some Ford headders to fit.My engine sits lower than the Bass car.I use an A833 trans.Steering and starter
dictated outside exhaust.All remaining ex.is tucked up under car.Did't really like the looks, it's a compromise but
they are growing on me
TDW

Post by TDW »

I'm using a set of these mufflers with a set of Hot_Heads outside the chassis headers. 392 engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCI-FTD3035C/