blower manifold

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemipickup

Re: blower manifold

Post by hemipickup »

IN MY FIRST POST I SAID THAT THE LOW BLOWER MANIFOLD WOULD NOT FIT MY 354 HEMI, I WAS WRONG, IT FITS MY 392 FINE, HAVE FOUND THAT MY 354 TRUCK HEADS ARE AT FAULT, THEY SEEM TO BE NARROWER THAN 354 PASSENGER HEADS, MANIFOLD WILL ONLY FIT USING 3/16" SPACERS WITH 1 INTAKE GASKET EACH SIDE OF SPACER. ANYONE GOT ANY CLUES OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am new to the hemis.....BUT I believe you will find that the difference is in the block and the heads. The 392 is a "raised block" much in the same way as the 413, 426 and 440 Chrysler RB engines in comparison to the standard "b" blocks. Since the deck surface is raised in comparison to the 354 and 331 blocks, that means that the centerline of the bores will be farther apart at the deck surface then the 354 and 331. The 392 heads were also made wider to facilitate using the same width intake manifolds as the 331 and 354. This is why you need intake manifolds spacers when using the earlier 331 and 354 heads on the 392. It is also the same reason you need a "log" type intake manifold like the old Weiand Drag Star if you use 392 heads on an earlier block. Since the 392 heads are wider, the Chrysler intake manifold is too wide. Someone feel free to correct my newbieness if I am wrong.
George

Post by George »

All Chr intakes interchange IF heads & block are matched up, low deckheads & low deck block, or high deck heads & high deck block. The intake mounting area of 392 heads was built up so the same intake will fit both high & low deck Chr brand engines. If you put 331/354 heads on a 392 block a spacer is needed. Unless....the block or heads are milled, then you would have to mill the intake to fit. Or maybe your intake has been milled so it won't fit unmilled heads w/o the spacers. Deminsionaly 354 truck & car heads should be the same.
George

Post by George »

Did you verify the casting # is 354?
Chiz What Is

Post by Chiz What Is »

I would like to see a picture of your 354 truck heads
Some days you win, some days you lose and some days you get rained out !
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

hemipickup wrote:I HAVE NEW LOW PROFILE SUPERCHARGER MANIFOLD IN HOUSE NOW, AM DOING FITMENT TESTS ON 392 HEMI & 354 TRUCK HEMI, SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SOON.
I have to ask if there's any updates on this manifold.
Boost is like crack. The first hits free, after that it drains your wallet and bank account
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

the guy making the manifolds is doing some more work on the patterns, adding some more thickness to some areas, then it will go back to foundry for another tryout, will keep you guys posted.
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

thanks for the update!! I am in the market for a blower manifold and would like to give one a try at some point. Do you have any pics of it?
Boost is like crack. The first hits free, after that it drains your wallet and bank account
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

Similar to pics on page 1, like the pic of hemi with black valve covers, has blowoff valves in center of plenum.