blower manifold

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemipickup

blower manifold

Post by hemipickup »

i bought a weiand blower manifold a few years ago, understanding it would fit a hemi, but it did not, but it did fit my 1955 301 chrysler poly engine, it is a low profile manifold.
DHEMI

Re: blower manifold

Post by DHEMI »

What is the part number on the manifold?Should be WC****.
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

WC671, IT HAS 1 HOLE MISSING WHERE BLOWER BOLTS TO TOP
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

This is all I can tell you.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Just a thought: what year Hemi do you have?Might need spacerplates between heads and manifold.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

DHEMI wrote:Just a thought: what year Hemi do you have?Might need spacerplates between heads and manifold.
That's what I was thinking too. 392 Heads on a 331/354 block, or 331/354 heads on a 392 block would keep things from fitting right.
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

Hi David, i see you live in god's own country, i visit denver every couple of years, i have a very good friend that i stay with when i am there, he lives in littleton,co, i have 354 hemi with 354 hemi heads, also have 301 poly with poly heads, to use manifold on 354, i have made spacers to fit. But i have new blower manifold on way to fit my 354 engine, a friend of mine here in australia has tooled up to make the low profile manifolds, the castings are already made, just in the machining process now, should be able to test fit to engine next week. The weiand manifold i have has the pop-off valves on the bottom like the early cragar manifolds. i wish i knew how to upload pics i could show you some of my components that i make, or you could send me your email address and i send some pics directly to you.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Thanks! I would love to see your pictures. I'll send you a PM with my email, and I'll share them here on the forum if that's OK.

My wife and I really love Colorado. We've been here now for 20 years. She was originally from the San Francisco Bay area, and I'm from the Los Angeles area. If you like the outdoors, Colorado is a great place to be. This picture was taken a couple years ago of me somewhere between 12,000 and 12,500 feet on my Telemark Skis near Loveland Pass. Tree line is something around 11,300, and 11,500 feet at this latitude, and you can get a sunburn in about 15 minutes! :lol:

Take care,

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Holy Cow Phil! You obviously have a lot of experience with the Early Hemi. :wink:

Here is Phil's response to me via email with a bunch of cool pictures:

"HI DAVID, HERE ARE SOME PICS OF HEMI BITS I MAKE, THE PICS OF HOT RODS ARE ENGINES I HAVE BUILT, THE 40 PICKUP IS MINE THAT I AM PUTTING TOGETHER,BLOWN 354, HILBORN INJECTOR, ISKY ROLLER CAM, MILODON GEAR DRIVE, ROSS PISTONS, VERTEX MAG, REGARDS, PHIL."

Enjoy everyone!

Make sure you send me some picks of the manifold you had cast when you get a chance. I'll post it up here at thehemi.com

Take care,

David
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

That bottom pic of the red hemi, i made the front parts, idler bracket & pulley, water pump drive, timing cover with bearing for supporting crank, water inlets, water pump spacers, hi-vol oil pump kit, and TF727 trans pan, as well as the valve covers. The engine in the a-model roadster pickup is 325 dodge, the bores in this engine were 0.040"over and were worn another 0.030" so i got the block sonic tested, bored the cylinders to 0.100"oversize and used ford 292 truck pistons, cut 0.312" off the skirt & 0.250" under pin of the piston, flycut the tops for valve clearance, made new wrist pin bushes to fit rods to pistons, got the lot balanced, used cut down big block chev intake valves, and small block chev exhaust valves, made them all fit, this is now 343ci. goes real quick.
Last edited by hemipickup on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Amazing work Phil!

So you put a bearing in that front timing chain cover. I think I've seen one of those before. I'm guessing that's to support the end of the crank due to the loading of the lower blower pulley.

Unlike you, I'm still very new to all of this. :roll:

David
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

i saw a mickey thompson timing cover with a bearing fitted, so i thought i can do that, so i made a pattern and had some timing covers cast by the foundry. i will set them on a fixture and machine them on the lathe.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

I found the picture of the one I saw earlier. Pretty beefy bearing!

Chiz What Is

Post by Chiz What Is »

Any manifold will fit providing the heads are correct for the block. When using '55 and '56 354 ci heads on a 392, spacers will be needed between the heads and the manifold. Gragar used to make these. 392 heads on a 354 block will present a problem when trying to fit a manifold. Weiand manifold part number 671-18 is a Hemi blower manifold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some days you win, some days you lose and some days you get rained out !
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

I KNOW YOU NEED SPACERS FOR 354 HEADS ON 392, THE LOW PROFILE MANIFOLD I HAVE FITS 301-331-354 POLY BLOCK AND HEADS, I MADE SPACERS TO FIT THIS MANIFOLD ON 354 HEMI, I HAVE ALSO FITTED 392 HEADS TO 354 HEMI AND MADE ADAPTERS TO FIT MANIFOLD ON, HAVE TRIED ALL COMBINATIONS, IF IT DON'T FIT MAKE IT FIT, IT JUST TAKES A BIT OF INGENUITY, BRAINS OR WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Phil! You don't seem to let anything stand in your way of ending up with what you want. If you can't get it, you make it! :wink:

You are really inspiring me to do some creating for my own project.

Here's some more of Phil's handy work. 8)

DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Very impressive!Thanks for sharing.
Chiz What Is

Post by Chiz What Is »

This was a manifold that I built in the '70s when I was young and silly !!
Hemi with Tunnel Ram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

What was your thinking to build that, looking for more torque, quite impressive! a lot of work went into making that manifold.
Chiz What Is

Post by Chiz What Is »

The reason for building the tunnel ram was that the engine was going in a V-Drive flat bottom boat. With out a blower, Hemis are kind of lazy on the bottom end so we wanted to get more torque in the bottom to mid range rpm and at the time, tunnel rams on Big block chevys were very popular in boats. I welded the manifold at my friend's shop where a young guy was working and he was facinated with what I was doing and was constantly asking me technical questions about it. You may have heard of him; Tim Hogan from Hogan Manifolds.
Chiz What Is

Post by Chiz What Is »

The reason for building the tunnel ram was that the engine was going in a V-Drive flat bottom boat. With out a blower, Hemis are kind of lazy on the bottom end so we wanted to get more torque in the bottom to mid range rpm and at the time, tunnel rams on Big block chevys were very popular in boats. I welded the manifold at my friend's shop where a young guy was working and he was facinated with what I was doing and was constantly asking me technical questions about it. You may have heard of him; Tim Hogan from Hogan Manifolds.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Chiz What Is wrote:The reason for building the tunnel ram was that the engine was going in a V-Drive flat bottom boat. With out a blower, Hemis are kind of lazy on the bottom end so we wanted to get more torque in the bottom to mid range rpm and at the time, tunnel rams on Big block chevys were very popular in boats. I welded the manifold at my friend's shop where a young guy was working and he was facinated with what I was doing and was constantly asking me technical questions about it. You may have heard of him; Tim Hogan from Hogan Manifolds.
I love that story! It sounds like you where very instrumental in helping Tim Hogan discover his vocation!

Very cool.

David
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Here's some more of Phil's handy work. These are some pinch type castings for holding Enderle injector tubes he created:

Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Hey, that's my Delta cover! I was thrilled to get that along with a Hilborn 4 port I bought. Does a good job with the bearing for support. FWIW, I threw thre rods (polished stockers) out of that engine and am working on its replacement. This time I've got some nice gently used billet aluminum rods.
hemipickup

Post by hemipickup »

I HAVE NEW LOW PROFILE SUPERCHARGER MANIFOLD IN HOUSE NOW, AM DOING FITMENT TESTS ON 392 HEMI & 354 TRUCK HEMI, SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SOON.