Transmission?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Transmission?

Post by Rob »

I have acquired a 354 Hemi engine. Going to pick it up this week. It is a non industrial, short bellhousing block truck engine. It has a bellhousing attached with clutch pressure plate and flywheel. So, I have an A230 heavy duty Mopar three speed transmission. Does anyone know if it will bolt to the Hemi bellhousing? If not, I guess I will find out soon. Thanks.
mart

Re: Transmission?

Post by mart »

Rob wrote:I have acquired a 354 Hemi engine. Going to pick it up this week. It is a non industrial, short bellhousing block truck engine. It has a bellhousing attached with clutch pressure plate and flywheel. So, I have an A230 heavy duty Mopar three speed transmission. Does anyone know if it will bolt to the Hemi bellhousing? If not, I guess I will find out soon. Thanks.
-----------------
It depends on how big of a truck your truck engine and bell are out of. If it is out of light truck that uses a 10 or 11 inch diameter clutch and a passenger car style bell, your tranny will likely bolt up. You might (or might not) have to change the clutch disk and get one that matches the spline count on the tranny input shaft .

But if the engine actually is a 354 though, it's most likely out of a "big truck", probably a 5-tonner or bigger. If so, it will have a huge bell for a "big truck-style" 5-speed or '"5 & 2" 10-speed tranny and a 14 inch or bigger diameter clutch. If that's the case, the three-speed car tranny is a definite no go without changing the clutch and bellhousing.

mart
=======================
Rob

Re: Transmission?

Post by Rob »

Here is the best picture I have of it so far.