Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves...

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves...

Post by Rob »

Howdeeee. I would like to get opinions about running the sodium filled exhaust valves. I am going to build a warm street motor....my goal is an honest 300 HP. Nothin crazy. Just somethin to cruise and have fun with. They are in excellent condition. As are the seats and guides. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a simple coarse and fine lapping in will be all that they need. All I have heard negative is that the larger stem affects flow somewhat. At my HP level, I ain't seein it. So is there any other reason not to run them? My thinkin is as long as they are good, use um. I mean heck, they were sodium filled to allow extra cooling under high exhaust temps while pulling heavy loads....seems to me that kinda goes hand in hand with a HP engine. Also, what about the exhaust rotators? Should they stay or go? I've always chunked um in other applications, but I have never run sodium filled valves, either. Thank you for your time.
mart

Re: Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves...

Post by mart »

If the valves needed replacement, I'd say chuck 'em, but since yours' sound like they're in excellent condition - and also, since you're only planning a mild street build, I'd say keep 'em and run 'em. As for the rotators, the truck engines used them, but there's no reason that they're needed that is specifically related to the sodium-cooled valves, so you could safely lose those.

mart
=============================
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks mart. I will be adding some good pictures soon as I get everything cleaned up. Gonna take me a bit cause all I got is a five gallon bucket of carb cleaner. Can only do half a head at the time and then I'm gonna bead blast um after that. Gotta do all to it that I can since I'm on such a tight budget.
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

my very old service manual states:

if there are any visible cracks in the valve, dig a deep hole in the ground and bury it

no kidding. that was the way they suggested to dispose of it. that's because sodium 'explodes' like a grenade when in contact with water. get rid of them.
George

Post by George »

johnny5 wrote: no kidding. that was the way they suggested to dispose of it. that's because sodium 'explodes' like a grenade when in contact with water. get rid of them.
Never seen what happens when a normal valve breaks going down the road, but I saw what happens when a sodium valve turns loose. Grenade explosion covers it.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Two reasons for pro; "1" - You are the one footing the bill. The first "con" person to step up & buy a new set of solid stem valves for you would be the first opinion I would take seriously!!! "2"- If the stems, valve faces, margins, and guides are in good shape, use them. Another misconception naysayers may have is they are heavy. I weighed some bad ones I replaced a while back & they were actually lighter than the stainless replacements I installed. Chevrolet started using sodium filled valves in their high performance engines in the 60s. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of one breaking with grenade-like consequences. I don't think you will be twisting this one near as high as a DZ 302 was used to. My too pennies worth. Buddy
'48 anglia
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

budmspeeco wrote: "2"- If the stems, valve faces, margins, and guides are in good shape, use them. Buddy
I did that with my 392, but they weren't sodium filled valves. Started it up one day in the shop and now I have a piston on the shelf in my den with a pretty good sized hole in it! I will never ever use 50 year old valves in a rebuild again!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well I have decided to replace all of the valves with new stainless ones. I am going to have some money in this and the last thing I want is a nice engine destroyed by a 55 year old valve that should have been replaced. It will slow me down a tad, but since this is a long term project anyway, what difference does it make?
mart

Post by mart »

If you're going to change the valves, while your at it, you may as well upgrade from the stock 331-354 1.94 intake valve to the slighter bigger 2.00 inch-diameter 392 intake valve. They're only .060 bigger but that's enough to make a noticeable difference in power. Plus,the cost for aftermarket 392-size intake valves is probably the same - or maybe even cheaper, because they're more common - than for the smaller 1.94 intake valves anyway. - mart
============================================
mart

Post by mart »

Hey Rob - if you're looking for stainless steel replacement valves, check this out
mart
--------------------------
NEW Stainless Steel valves Chrysler Hemi 354 392
Item number: 280436864185

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0436864185
Item condition: New
Quantity: 5 available
Buy It Now - Price:US $235.95

Visit store: Ebay Storesmachine4speed
http://stores.ebay.com/machine4speed?_t ... 4340.l2563
Item number: 280436864185
Item location: United States
Ships to:Worldwide
History:11 sold

SI Industries Stainless Steel Valves
Application:
Chrysler Hemi 354/392
Intake Valve Head Diameter: 2.000"
Intake Valve Overall Length: 5.095
Exhaust Valve Head Diameter: 1.745
Exhaust Valve Overall Length: 5.060"
3/8" Stems
Stock style Multi groove locks
[/b]

Description: New set of 16 (8 intake, 8 Exhaust) Stainless Steel Valves. Premium quality Stainless Steel forgings, Chrome stems, Hardened Stelite tips and swirl polishing. Ideal for both High performance street and competition use. Unless otherwise stated all valves are made of 21-4N and EV-8 Stainless Steel, superior to any material used by original equipment manufacturers.
We can also sell you intake or exhaust valves only. We can also supply Bronze valve guides for many applications, contact us for price and availability
============