Head gaskets?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Head gaskets?

Post by Rob »

I read over on the HAMB that boring the 331 to the 354 bore size requires specially made head gaskets. Can someone here please expound? Like how much? Where I can get them? So far with the HAMB, I am not impressed. Yall are much more helpful here. They seem to be newbie unfriendly. Thank you.
DavidBraley

Re: Head gaskets?

Post by DavidBraley »

Rob,

The only thing I know for sure is that the 1955 331 has a unique head gasket. Why it doesn't fit the earlier 331's or the year later 354 I don't know. The 392 head gaskets use a different diameter alignment dowels. My guess is that a 354 head gasket can be made to work. You might have to make sure all the water passage holes line up. Here is a link to the different head gaskets used. You might compare some of these pictures to the head gaskets you removed from the engine you have there:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=367538

Maybe others will know more.

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks David. Mine is probably gonna be a bastard child. It is a 1956 331. Since truck motors were made to 1956 at least from what I've read, that's what I have. I assume it is the same as the 55......but of course that's dangerous ground.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

There are three distinct head gaskets for the 331-354 and 392, and not based on displacement. If you take the time to actually look at the photos in the HAMB link you can see that there are physical differences with regards to the location of coolant passage holes as well as the dowel pin diameter. This is a common problem that the novice runs into when swapping heads. The Hamb link has a ton of excellent information. Yes, they can be a bit hard on fng's who ask really stupid questions or who come across with an attitude, but the knowledge base is there.

A 56 331 truck Hemi, may or may not use the 56-354 head gasket. Go back to the Hamb link (or my web site) and check the block and head casting numbers to zero in on what you have, or, simply compare your gasket to a known part.
As mentioned, the 55-331 pass car is a one-only gasket.
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/hemi-c.htm
Did you go to this site?Lot's of info.The hamber's don't like him cuz he knows more than the mis info posted there.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I don't like him because he can be a jerk!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Rob

Post by Rob »

Who are we talking about bein a jerk here? If it's me, I sure would like to see some posted evidence. I've been as careful as a church mouse because I need to learn. If folks think I'm a jerk, I can cure that real easy. I can just get all the books I can and learn it myself and kiss the net goodbye. Simple enough. I just thought I'd share the fun of building a hemi with people of like interest.
George

Post by George »

The hard to find Tex Smith Mopar hot rod book(not the hemi book) has a chapter on hemis. It shows 2 gaskets overlayed (51-4 & 56)showing some of the diffrences. Apparently the '56 is for a 331. Mentions the gasket is from "Fitzgerald"(?). The '56 gasket is taller than the 51-4 so the heads must be a little taller @ the mating surface. One '55 diffrence is the dowl pin size.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

The Fitzgerald gasket was popular in the 60's with the T/F guys. Sadly, another one of the great manufacturers now long gone. I have a couple 392 sets if anyone has a need...
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Rob wrote:Who are we talking about bein a jerk here? If it's me, I sure would like to see some posted evidence. I've been as careful as a church mouse because I need to learn. If folks think I'm a jerk, I can cure that real easy. I can just get all the books I can and learn it myself and kiss the net goodbye. Simple enough. I just thought I'd share the fun of building a hemi with people of like interest.
No, No Rob, Larry isn't talking about you. My guess is he's had a bad run-in with the guy who hosts the victorylibrary.com site.

Just so you know, I had a chance to meet Larry in person, and he is THE nicest, most laid back guy you'll ever meet. :wink:

They don't get much better than that! :D

I saw you posts on this subject over on the HAMB. The HAMB is just what it is. Sometimes they can be really cruel, but it's mostly pretty civil over there. You will need slightly thicker skin on occasion.

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Just to add some more helpful (hopefully) info,

Over on the HAMB, If I have a unusual problem related to these early elephant motors, I find that george, 73RR (wayfarer here), mart, and TRWaters are some very reliable sources for information. If you're feeling a bit jubby about asking a question for the whole HAMB universe to see, shoot off a PM to one of these guys. It's been my experience they are super knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help. :wink:

A quick call to HotHeads might also find a gasket that will work, or information to help you adapt one that's originally spec'd for another motor.

Take care,

David
Last edited by DavidBraley on Sat May 28, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh, ok. Sorry about jumping the gun there. Maybe I was a little parnoid. Sorry bout that. mart was kind enough to post my need there for some pistons and literally no one has said a thing........but then I can post a question here and we have a party with it. I think I'll be stickin around here. Thanks yall.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I went out today with the gasket pictures on my computer and the block deck is exactly the same as the 1956 to 1958 354 and 392 gasket, so I assume that one will work. Sorry about the crapstorm over on The Hamb, but people kept telling me things that I knew were not right. Although I am new to Hemis, I have been reading my hind end off for the last 3 or 4 months and I have learned a good bit. Although I know it came out like I was being an agruementative prick, I assure you that was not my intent. I am going to be tearing down the short block in the weeks to come and I will post those pictures here for yall to see....that is if yall are still interested. Again, I am sorry for any misunderstanding and I cannot thank you all enough for your help thus far.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Definitely not talking about you Rob! I was referring to Panic, the owner of the Victory Library website. I usually blow off internet squabbles, but I refuse to have anything to do with this individual or his site!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

DavidBraley wrote:
Over on the HAMB, If I have a unusual problem related to these early elephant motors, I find that george, 73RR (wayfarer here), mart, and TRWaters are some very reliable sources for information.

David
I agree with David, these guys have more early hemi knowledge between them than you could probably find in any books and are a great asset to this site.

Keep posting Rob. I've been following along since your first post and really enjoy the discussions you've generated!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks Larry. I appreciate you not taking my foot in mouth disease personally. It happens on a regular basis. I will keep posting. May be a bit before any more hemi pictures as I need to get to work on my slant.