Transmission SUCCESS.....

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Transmission SUCCESS.....

Post by Rob »

Tonight I felt like ramblin around in the shop for some reason. I got to lookin at this mafungo bellhousin. It has several transmission bolt patterns on it. The cool thing about it is, they all seem to be factory holes, because they have "bosses" built up on the inside of the bellhousing for support. So with that in mind, I took my A230 3 speed and plunked it over on the bellhousin. It seemed to line up with four of the holes. So, I took my 7/16 X 14 tap and ran through the four holes to clean them out good and found two 7/16 X 14 bolts. Yup, they lined right up. I looked at the center hole orientation and the bearing retainer is too small, but right smack dab in the center. So all I gotta do is get a ring made to make up the difference and I'm good to go. The input shaft is even at the right depth. I will get pics in the mornin. I am beat.
Rob

Re: Transmission SUCCESS.....

Post by Rob »

It always stuck in my craw how many people use adapter plates with these engines. I've always thought that was cheesy. I never understood why and now I understand even less. I guess maybe for weight savings? Anyway, here it is. The transmission looks pretty small in comparison, but remember, the A230 is Chrysler's heavy duty three speed transmission.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

There are only a couple of opportunities to use a late trans and early bell, yours being one of them. In many applications the truck bell is just too big. In other swaps, like a 5-speed, nothing matches. T-5? input shaft is too short for the truck bell. AX15? stock bell is not used but a block adapter is required.

Trans adapters do have their place.
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I reckon I just got lucky then. It's about dang time, too. T5? Yeah, you really wanna break sumthin. LOL I would run this A230 first. lol
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hello all. I have a question regarding bearing retainers. This specifically involves an A230 three speed transmission and a 1956 Chrysler Hemi bellhousing. The A230 will fit and bolt right up to this particular bellhousing as it has several factory bolt patterns. I know they are factory because they have cast in bosses on the front side of the bellhousing for support. It is a very clean bellhousing with no breaks or repairs. Here is my question. The bearing retainer on the A230 of course is 4.350". The center hole of the bellhousing is 5.125". Is it possible to modify an overdrive bearing retainer to work properly with the A230? I have read about making a "ring" to make up the difference between the center hole and the retainer. This seems kinda chinsey to me because what is to keep it from falling right out the front side and getting involved in the throw out bearing and clutch? Any help is appreciated.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

I can't offer any help with the A230...but the spacer ring has been used successfully for years and will not "fall out" if properly machined/installed; check your existing bearing retainer for concentricity and if needed turn down your existing bearing retainer od as needed to make it 'round'. Make your spacer with a [u]press fit [/u]and install.
Alternately, if you are not sure of your machining skills for the foregoing process then cut a small shoulder on the case side of the retainer and a matching shoulder on the spacer.

www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well.....the skills are there but the equipment is not. lol As long as the ring will press fit and work, that will be the most cost effective way. Thanks.